Ortlieb dry bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am thinking of getting a large dry bag to act as a rucksack liner, rather unsurprisingly to keep my gear dry(-er). I like the look of the Ortlieb ones but cannot decide whether I should go for a heavyweight one, with the advantages of being robust and most definitely waterproof, or a mediumweight one with a valve that will allow me to compress my gear more effectively and yet won't be quite so durable.

I'd really value the opinions of anyone who uses these - or alternative - drybags and hear your thoughts on the merits/demerits of each.

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I use a sea to summit ultrasil liner in my packs and have found it very durable. 18 months of service including overseas trip and it looks like new. Ortlieb without doubt are bomb proof so if weight isnt an issue an you want to be fully immersion proof they will give you complete peace of mind.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I ditched the liner in favour of smaller dry bags to organise my gear inside the Bergan. I found the liner was more difficult to pack, wasting space that I found difficult to fill.

The smaller dry bags are colour coded, so I can tell at a glance what is in each bag.

Simon

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
+1 for the smaller coloured dry bags. Not much of an issue for me now though as I usually trek not too far from vehicle. Still gives me peace of mind, having a ruck' cover can also help.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I am thinking of getting a large dry bag to act as a rucksack liner, rather unsurprisingly to keep my gear dry(-er). I like the look of the Ortlieb ones but cannot decide whether I should go for a heavyweight one, with the advantages of being robust and most definitely waterproof, or a mediumweight one with a valve that will allow me to compress my gear more effectively and yet won't be quite so durable.

I'd really value the opinions of anyone who uses these - or alternative - drybags and hear your thoughts on the merits/demerits of each. ...

You've hit more than one nail squarely on the head there.

I have several Ortlieb bags, a few cheap and roughly equivalent from Aldi or similar, and a ridiculous number of lightweight ones that I picked up cheaply when a camping business ceased trading. The Ortlieb (mine are black) and Aldi-type ones (mine are red or yellow) are smooth PVC coated fabric, the lightweight ones are some sort of proofed man-made woven fabric. Mine all close in the same way, that is flattening and then rolling up what is effectively the neck of an open-topped cylindrical bag, and then closing a clip to keep the rolled up bit from unrolling. The clipped bit then can be used as a carrying handle which is really useful as otherwise they can be a bit awkward to grab hold of if you're also carrying a lot of other kit.

The Aldi ones are a little odd as unlike the others where the neck closure is basically a flattened tube, on the Aldi ones there is a a cut-out on one 'side' and a flap. I don't think it makes for quite such a competent seal if it's fairly full so that you can't roll it quite so many times as you should. While the Ortlieb are almost all black, the Aldi ones are available in three or four bright colours which helps a lot if you have more than one as they're all completely opaque.

I've made a couple of temporary repairs on the PVC ones with duct tape and that's worked perfectly well but I don't think it would be any good on a fabric one.

Without a doubt the Ortlieb bags are the best if your only criterion is keeping out the water. But they're heavy, expensive, and because mine have no valve, as you point out you can't compress them once they're closed. So they might make a decent fender but they can be tricky to pack in a bergen. I've developed ways of packing them to minimise the air trapped. On the other hand sometimes I put a hot water bottle inside one, so I don't want it to have an air release valve (which knowing my luck would leak anyway). Oh, and they're black.

The Aldi ones I generally use to keep wet things in so that the wet things (e.g. a parachute, quite a lot of water) don't wet the rest of my stuff.

The lightweight fabric ones see service mostly as individual day's clothing, mostly on motor cycles where they're inside another more or less waterproof bag or a hard case, and so well protected from damage. Did I mention that the Ortlieb bags are black? The fabric ones are several different colours so you can colour code your kit if you feel the need. I use them more to keep things under control than to keep things dry, but the waterproofing is a bonus which most of the time I hope I won't be needing. :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I do have the Ortliebs and quite a few other makes of bags and liners but TBH, I don't usually take them.

I use a heavy duty rubble sack with a plastic bag clamp. They are lighter, completely waterproof and cost 10p each. I'll get a trip or 2 out of a bag.

All other kit goes in silnylon stuff sacks so they can be unpacked and the contents kept dry from wet grass and the like when I unload.

I agree with Ged on the Aldi bags-great value and very hardwearing. Lomo do an overboard bag which is almost identical and very harwearing.

Last edited:

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've had some Ortlieb heavy-duty dry bags for years and first bought them to hold sleeping kit which was fixed by bungy to my motorcycle in all weathers. They have developed some holes over the years (usually by abrasion) which I've sealed with 'Tenatious Tape' or similar stuff. The mended bags saw service on the recent Frontier Bushcraft Expedition Canoeing Skills course http://frontierbushcraft.com/courses/expedition-canoeing-skills/ and held up very well. I deliberately chucked packed drybags into the lake at one point to see how they did and was impressed. The lightweight bags are not sold as immersion proof (I think) and I wouldn't want to rely on them. I'd choose Ortlieb for situations where ending up in the water was likely and the lightweight (Exped/Sea-to-Summit etc.) where guarding against rain is the issue. Ray Goodwin also provided some Palm drybags for us to borrow and they were even tougher than my Ortlieb ones (the Palm drybags we used were made of stuff like the MSR Dromedary water-bags, I can't seem to Google these up now though, although they were brand new). Horses-for-courses when it comes to choosing the right kit . . .

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I use a heavy duty rubble sack with a plastic bag clamp. They are lighter, completely waterproof and cost 10p each. I'll get a trip or 2 out of a bag..."

+1 for rubble bags, the other advantage is that they are easier to compress into your pack and thus take up all the available space. Something Ortlieb bags do not do.

I have several Ortlieb bags, they are certainly worth the money, I generaly don't use them for longer walks because of the weight. I didn't know there was a heavy duty version, mine are the basic type and have had plenty of abuse with no holes so far, I often tie two together under my rucksack lid and secure them to the pack sides so that they act as side pockets.

Ortlieb.JPG

Last edited:

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
I've made a couple of temporary repairs on the PVC ones with duct tape and that's worked perfectly well but I don't think it would be any good on a fabric one.

Without a doubt the Ortlieb bags are the best if your only criterion is keeping out the water. But they're heavy, expensive, and because mine have no valve, as you point out you can't compress them once they're closed. So they might make a decent fender but they can be tricky to pack in a bergen. I've developed ways of packing them to minimise the air trapped. On the other hand sometimes I put a hot water bottle inside one, so I don't want it to have an air release valve (which knowing my luck would leak anyway). Oh, and they're black.

Thanks to RVOPs I finally figured it out how to expel the air with my Tasmanian Tiger dry bags.

[video=youtube;QryArhQsO2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryArhQsO2E[/video]

I go with a decent weighted Ortleib main sack and then smaller various coloured waterproof/dry sacks. This helps me identify my kit with minimal fuss and gives me that double protection should the main compartment suffer.

Definitely a force of habit but I'll waterproof my kit regardless of terrain/temperature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE