Oriental Cuisine: Autumn Olive and Bee Larvae

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Tried two new wild edibles yesterday. Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellata), which is a feral ornamental from Asia, and bee larvae, which are delicacies there.

I had read about Autumn Olive and been wanting to try it. Once I learned how to recognize it and spotted my first one, I'm suddenly seeing them everywhere - highway medians, front yards, abandoned fields. The way the berries grow makes them easy to pick, two of us filled a bucket in short order. Ate some fresh, made juice of the rest, and fed the remains to the chickens. Good sweet/tart taste, easy picking, and wide availability will put this high on my list of favorites from now on.

Had also read about eating bee larvae, so tried a few when I had a hive open yesterday. Just picked them out of the comb with a toothpick and ate them raw. No taste at all. Maybe I'll try stir-frying a few next time. At any rate, a potentially good source of protein in the wild if you can get them without being stung. There must be a reason bears and skunks like them so much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE