Orford Nordic Carving Axe...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Has anyone had any experience of this particular tool? It looks interesting and I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone about it.

Many thanks.
Richard

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
no experience but it looks a dog's breakfast to me.

The 'beard' or cut-away shape on an axe is usually so you can get your hand behind the edge - so extending the edge up like that seems to defeat the purpose. The only 'traditional' axes I've seen with that shape have been for throwing.

Full-tang construction puts weight where you don't need it; not behind the edge. It will be horrible to chop with as the steel will transmit the impact to your hands.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It struck me that the weight distribution might be a bit cockeyed but I hadn't thought of the soaring upper edge of the blade making it tricky to use. It does look odd but I was wondering if it actually felt odd to use as well.

thanks for your comments; I hope that someone who actually owns one might chip in and put us straight about what it's like.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It is a similar profile to the everyday carry axe used by vikings etc. They used them for everything. Don't like an axe with a tang though.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I played with fulltang axes years ago,before I could forge proper ones. I can't stand them and wouldn't make them again.

Not only is the weight in the wrong places (though this can be tinkered with by drilling holes etc), it vibrates and shocks in the hand when used hard, the glue and pins can easily give way when the tang flexes, the handle gets damaged if it goes into a tree/log, the naked section of tang is unuseable in the hand, the exposed metal of a full tang is unpleasant in the cold and the thin blade is not ideal for a lot of things that axes are good at.

Al in all I think Ben as come up with a crap tool for once! (sorry mate, if you are reading this)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Full-tang construction puts weight where you don't need it; not behind the edge. It will be horrible to chop with as the steel will transmit the impact to your hands.

But with no eye to open out you could batton it through a paving slab and only need to worry about the edge retention - every cloud ;)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Doubtful you'd get a small jackhammer stuck in something you couldn't get it out of... it's probably not much safer bashing the top of a jack hammer with a log either. Mind you, with a small axe/hatchet (I've got an Estwing Sportsman, for example) and it's bashable through lots of stuff it wouldn't split if you hit them with it. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a full tang though... do they do stick tang axes?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Estwing axes have much heads that are much thicker than the tangs, basically they are proportioned more closely to a proper axe. Also the tangs are totally enclosed by rubber or leather (ala stick or mortice tangs), degating the shock/pinching/cold problems of a truly full tang handle structure

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I cant see any benefit to a full tang axe, pretty sure Dave is right about vibration (remember our discussion on the parang Dave?).
It looks good and I think Ben is a cracking craftsman but i think he's making these just to make something different for guys with money to burn (penis extentions!).

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well, that's decided me then: I'm out. I'll look for a carving axe somewhere else. Many thanks for all the observations!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE