optimus nova or primus omni fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
hi thinking about buying a new stove looking at optimus nova or primus omni fuel dose any one have any experience with them good or bad or any suggestions

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have the Nova Plus. It is a fantastic stove, you can simmer on it, it has a quick release fuel line, there is a method to purge the fuel line of fuel when you have finished so that when you do disconnect the fuel line you don't get covered in fuel leaking out of the end. The jet is cleaned with a magic tool so no stripping it down and it roars like a Hawker Hunter!

Also, you don't have to stick to one fuel, just top up with whatever fuel you have and use a cocktail of fuels. It burns just about everything, although I don't believe the story about rhino wee!:D

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
spamel is that the one with the the heat control at the fuel line next to the bottle

ps rhino wee how many beers you had spamel !

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Control is next to the bottle, it basically rotates the whole fuel line, thus adjusting the burner port needle in the burner unit. It is a good idea.

Can't remember where rhino wee came from, I think it came up in another thread about these!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got a couple of Nova'a, a Nova+ and Primus Omnifuel. When burning liquid fuel like parafinn/coleman fuel there is nothing really between them in terms of burn time. The Nova is a little more frugal on paraffin than the Primus. You don't need to change the jet between different fuels with the Nova's, you do with the Primus, but, you can use a gas cartridge (standard screw type) with the Primus.

If you don't want the option of burning gas, then just flip a coin, they are both very good stoves

I don't burn unleaded petrol, it really does give off fumes you don't want to inhale, and the additives will clog jets quicker than cleaner fuel. I burn paraffin or automotive panel wipe I get from a local car spares centre (way cheaper than Coleman)

Good luck with your choice, you have the pick of what I believe as a stove collector, to be just about the two best expedition stoves on the market

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
hi rik uk3 is there much involved in changing the jets on the omni is there any maintenance issues

can you simmer with the omni fuel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE