Optimus 8r or 111 ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Looking to get one of these stoves but whats the difference ? I've also seen the Russian clones that look quite good, anyone with experience with comparing these 3 stoves ?

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Go have a look on spiritburner. It's a fantastic site.

My limited understanding (I have a 111T) is
111 is a pumped pressure stove and is bigger than the 8r thus more powerful.
8r can have an extra minipump & cap but normally is pressurised by the heat from the stove itself similar to the 123

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have all 3. The 8R and the clone are 1/2 pint stoves and are great for solo/2 person use if you are not going lightweight.

The 111 is still made today and it is the stove of choice used by the research stations in the Ant/arctic. It's a monster and will easily melt ali pans!

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I have all 3. The 8R and the clone are 1/2 pint stoves and are great for solo/2 person use if you are not going lightweight.

The 111 is still made today and it the stove of choice used by the research stations in the Ant/arctic. It's a monster and will easily melt ali pans!

Great response, thank you, for fishing trips and bimbles the 8r or clone sounds just the Job for frying sausages and boiling a pan for coffee. How do you rate the clone against the 8r ?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Honestly they are about the same. I got the clone first and whilst you can find some parts for it, 8R parts will be available for a long time yet.

As already said make sure you venture onto Spirit Burner. They're very helpful but fiercely loyal to Primus/Optimus!

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Theres is a 111b which is a dedicated white gas stove, and the triple fuel model.
I'd advice you to go with the 8r if you want to use that fuel. Its properly designed for it, with the safety release valve located well above fuel level, meaning tank overpressure results in a candle sized flame atop the tank lid.
The design of the 111 has the pump tube and non return valve located below fuel level. If the valve fails, which it will if you don't keep maintenance up, actual fuel will come oozing out around the pump shaft. Not a huge problem with kerosene but potentially disastrous with white gas.

Not advising against the 111, just don't use panel wipe/white gas in it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

The 111 is still made today and it is the stove of choice used by the research stations in the Ant/arctic. It's a monster and will easily melt ali pans!

By who?

The British Antarctic stations use Optimus 45 stoves in the field, classic brass :) http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/living_and_working/daily_life/food.php

The Americans and New Zealand/Australian do or did use 111

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 8R (or R8 as the Russian clone is known) will.

The 111 comes in various models - mostly paraffin, though one model has a conversion kit to run on meths. Not sure if there is a 'petrol' model though.

Edit: apparently the 111T is a multifuel stove - see this thread :)

This is an ex army (Brit) 111T stove, note the restrictor tube on the chain; when fitted it allows you to burn meths/methanol/ethanol.

111t.jpg

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Just recently got my hands on an 8R...happy as a kid at christmas!!
Almost makes me feel greedy for looking for a 111...

I think the current version of the 111, is the Hiker+ sporting the Nova+ burner.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Richard you are a bad man. They are very hard to find!
You don't have a 199 for sale at a sensible price do you?

On a side note, I've run myR8 clone on nothing BUT unleaded petrol and had no problems with it at all.

Si

I sold a spare 199 to a very nice man in Japan who gave me lots of money :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just recently got my hands on an 8R...happy as a kid at christmas!!
Almost makes me feel greedy for looking for a 111...

I think the current version of the 111, is the Hiker+ sporting the Nova+ burner.

Yep, its a Nova in a can, not a 111.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
This is an ex army (Brit) 111T stove, note the restrictor tube on the chain; when fitted it allows you to burn meths/methanol/ethanol.
Ok, silly question :eek: where does the restrictor tube go?. I forgot the one I bought off Cliff was the tri-fuel version and came with the restrictor but I haven't really looked at using it with meths yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE