Optimus 8 stove

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Nice stove - hope you got it! Virtually everything on it is replaceable from several sources, although they very rarely need spare parts.

Just don't use paraffin in it!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Petrol, or rather, Coleman fuel, panel wipe or Aspen4, but if you're only likely to use it occasionally one of these will fill the tank, is a nice clean burn and saves having a part full container of fuel kicking around.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Here - http://www.base-camp.co.uk/ - is probably the bast source for spare parts in the UK. They also have exploded diagrams of the stoves, with part numbers etc.

These stoves were the Rolls-Royce of camping stoves in the old days - every self-respecting biker had one with them on bike rallies. Fuelled by draining a bit from the bike tanks - yes, petrol! - and they just kept ticking. (and BMW riders used to put them under their bike sumps to thin the oil sufficiently to get their bikes to start in cold weather...)

Nowadays its probably better to use Coleman fuel, or Aspen 4 or panel wipe, as it contains fewer additives and therefore less likely to gum up the works. The 8 - without the self-cleaning needle of the 8R - is probably a bit better at avoiding this "gumming-up", and some even claim it burns better without the self-cleaning gubbins. Can't say as I've noticed much difference myself though. More pronounced on the Optimus 123/123R.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Interesting that the tank seems to be nickel-plated (I'm guessing over brass), compared to most which were just plain brass.

Might have a collectable item there!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm also guessing that you're missing the "pricker", required to clean the jet hole from time to time. Again, should be easy to get a replacement.

The following might be of interest for a bit of background on the nickel-plated 8 (btw, looks like your stove is probably about 70-80 year old:) ) Also gives some good advice on replacements it probably needs before firing up.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/22973/post/last/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE