Opinions Sought - Spyderco UKPK vs. Boker Plus XS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have the maxpedition jumbo verso and i use a svord peasant mini on a lanyard using the clip hook on the holster works a treat and its a lovely blade to use.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I had a ukpk for maybe two days from a trade with (welchyd) from here.
I fileworked the spacer and got shot it was horrible to hold and to be quite frank felt cheap and nasty.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I had a ukpk for maybe two days from a trade with (welchyd) from here.
I fileworked the spacer and got shot it was horrible to hold and to be quite frank felt cheap and nasty.

It's worth bearing in mind that not all UKPKs are made equal.

The original came with G10 scales and S30v blade
There is a version with Titanium scales and S30v which is the expensive version.
There is a version with FRN scales and Gin 1 blade or CTS-BD1 blade which is the budge version - that was the version you had so yes, it was the cheap one. Nasty is quite a statement. Many people don't like FRN because it feels lightweight and fragile but in reality it's very very tough stuff. I would be impressed if someone broke one in normal use.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
It's worth bearing in mind that not all UKPKs are made equal.

The original came with G10 scales and S30v blade
There is a version with Titanium scales and S30v which is the expensive version.
There is a version with FRN scales and Gin 1 blade or CTS-BD1 blade which is the budge version - that was the version you had so yes, it was the cheap one. Nasty is quite a statement. Many people don't like FRN because it feels lightweight and fragile but in reality it's very very tough stuff. I would be impressed if someone broke one in normal use.

The one I had stew just felt like a toy in my hands so I moved it on lesson learnt I will not be wanting another.
I'm sure they are a good knife and strong etc etc but just simply not for me .

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
That UKPK from Sandbender came today. Takes a good edge, although I can see what other reviewers meant about the lockup.

The spring tension holding it open is detectably less than my Victorinox Tinker. However, there is a finger choil thingy which means it would be very difficult to close it on your hand. The flip side of this is that it is very easy to open one handed.

We'll see how I get on carrying it around for a while. If the tension issue starts to bother me, I may look at buying the Boker. If I do, I'll do a head to head review and then give away the loser on BCUK.

We'll see.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I love knives - all knives - except a few that are really bad The UKPK is really bad - dreadful lockup, uncomfortable handle with square edges that causes hotspots in a nano second, silly blade design that is too wide to pass under tight packing tapes. Hate it - it languishes in a drawer somewhere.

I didn't get on with it either - would recommend a sodbuster pattern GEC,Case and Queen all make great ones

chrisinhove

Aug 7, 2013
Sussex
I sent the only Boker Plus knife I've ever bought back to Heinnie Haynes. It was DREADFUL. The grind was grossly asymmetric, it was blunt, and dirty (in the sealed box!).

It was so bad I e-mailed Boker who simply said it must be a one-off problem.

I bought a Spyderco instead and have since bought a second, I was so impressed.

Almost 3x more money but at least 10x better quality, and from a manufacturer who actually cares.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE