Opinions please - the most effective and painless way to kill a meal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
When you use your snares be carefull not to use the self locking type as these are now against the law, you must use the free running type, you must also check the snare line regularly as the law also says that you must not cause an animal any undue suffering.
the RSPCA and other troublesome animal rights organisations are pretty hot on trapping and will try to spout all manner of rules that dont exist so dont give them any armunition. basc.org gives good guidlines on snaring.
when you get your air rifle remember the flight of your pellet will be like a rainbow so not only set your zero but check where your pellet impacts befor and after it.

Good hunting :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
elma said:
....when you get your air rifle remember the flight of your pellet will be like a rainbow so not only set your zero but check where your pellet impacts befor and after it.

Good hunting :D

Please also remember that you need written permission to shoot any type of quarry from the owner of the land that you are on - failure to do so results in a crime of "Armed Trespass" and comes under Firearms Law despite being an air rifle.

Shoot safe

Ogri the trog

Fallowstalker

Oct 1, 2005
Towy valley
Although written permission is always advisable, it is only a legal requirement for the use of section one firearms other than by the owner/occupier. For air weapons and shotguns verbal permission is all that is required by law.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fallowstalker said:
Although written permission is always advisable, it is only a legal requirement for the use of section one firearms other than by the owner/occupier. For air weapons and shotguns verbal permission is all that is required by law.

Agreed Fallowstalker,
But police dragging the landowner out of bed at silly O'clock in the morning to confirm your permission is not a good way to generate lasting friendships. Also, if the landowner is away, the armed trespass sticks until he can be traced.

It just strikes me as a more professional approach if you have the written permission with you when shooting.

Ogri the trog

Fallowstalker

Oct 1, 2005
Towy valley
Ogri the trog said:
It just strikes me as a more professional approach if you have the written permission with you when shooting.

You are right. Trouble is, even written permission doesn't help much. Of the three times I've been stopped by the police in the wee small hours this year (an occupational hazzard if you lamp or night fly fish for seatrout), on two occasions the landowner was disturbed from his bed to confirm my written authority. :(

Beakytzw

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2005
where ever the military send me!
Informing the local Bobby in the biggest station in the local area about your hunting trip on Private land with the landowners Permission at around 1400hrs on the day your going to be hunting. Please ensure that they informe the staion local to your area of interest. You can take your written permission into the station, where the local plod can then phone the land owner to confirm you do actually have his/her say so.

The local plod then can inform his/her patrols on the shift change briefing that you are out there with an air rifle, (if necessary a licensed air rifle, do please check if you need one, as a night in the cells is very uncomfortable). this will ensure that the landowner is not woken at 3am, your not disturbed, and the police can go catch real criminals.

Have a great time m8, and I hope you learn lots.

Phil

Fallowstalker

Oct 1, 2005
Towy valley
Great advice, but local plod ain't usually that helpful. You phone them to tell them what you're planning and they soon get very bored and tell you to stop bothering them.

Beakytzw

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2005
where ever the military send me!
Beakytzw said:
Informing the local Bobby in the biggest station in the local area about your hunting trip on Private land
Hence the BIGEST police station in the area which is usually a larger staion than the local village cop shop. Here in wiltshire, the village staion shuts at about 1700hrs, But the main station in Andover is a fully manned staion for a full 24hrs. even has a webpage for reporting crimes :eek: I used it it works very well in deed. The main staion info'd the local bobby who turned up at my house as soon as she was brief in the morning briefing @ the HQ (very minor crime, not life threatening some git stole my bike between 2000hrs and 0800hrs long story). Which i might add was at 0830hrs. so the morning briefings and afternoon briefings work, local bobby gets told, the patrol cars out and about get told and and hey presto a very peacful evening. Try it, it actually does work.

Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
Thanks again for all tha advice. I have been looking in to what I need (and is sensible to have) in the way of cover. I am joining the BASA £18 per year and gives insurance cover for 3rd parties and I will get a game licence. Iknow its not officialy needed unless I am selling but for £6, piece of mind, and I can sell a bunny if I really wanted to. I will also join a local airgun shooting club.

I'm more of a keen cook than a hardened hunter, so I am not talking about being out there 5 nights a week.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
just a kwik bit of advise. ' dont try and up the power of a air rifle ' as anything the slightest bit over 12 ft/lbs takes it into firearms status. and a heavy fine and/or prison sentence will be served. aim to get your groups inside a 1" circle at 40 yds but practice at closer ranges and working up.

tom

whichever route you want to take happy hunting

Fallowstalker

Oct 1, 2005
Towy valley
Borneo Wildman said:
I will get a game licence. Iknow its not officialy needed unless I am selling but for £6, piece of mind, and I can sell a bunny if I really wanted to.

Please note. A game licence allows you to kill game only (subject to suitable permissions), nothing more. To sell game you require a game DEALERS licence, if you are selling game to anyone other than a registered game dealer.

It is a criminal offence to sell, (unless you are a licenced game dealer yourself) exchange, barter or swap for reward, any game unless you are a restaurant or registered inn keeper, in which case, game must be sold for consumption on the premises, and must be purchased from a registered licenced game dealer.

Rabbits are not game, and as such they do not need a game licence to shoot them, or a game dealers licence to sell them.

You can sell a dead rabbit to whom you like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE