Opinions on Swazi Aegis from owners.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have some fantastic invitations for deer stalking and assisting with management of the deer in the Highlands next Autumn and winter. It will involve me being out on hill sides from the west coast to the Cairngorms all day for several days at a time - luckily back to the house and stove each night.

Things is, the weather will be foul, and I will be slogging about working hard. I'm going to be working on my fitness, but I still expect to get hot.

I recently had to sell my Ridgeline as I found it way to hot to do anything energetic in it. I have a nice Goretex for most things, but it's a bit much for what I am going to do, being more classically styled for shooting.

So, after stopping at Tamarack and finding the right size, the next questions is - will I be OK with a Swazi, or am I likely to drown in my own sweat by walking up a hill? Should I wear it snug or loose to get best results?

Any advice by those who have them would be gratefully received. I am not looking for advice on Regatta jackets or any other options, just really what people think of the breathability of the Aegis fabric.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I can't comment on the Aegis fabric, but having done a fair bit of hill stalking and hill walking, I'd seriously consider a modern softshell jacket as an outer, with a lightweight waterproof shell to go over it for when then weather really turns bad.

Military 1st carry softshells in various camo patterns, and at reasonable prices too..My only concern would be how noisy they were as some softshells can be a bit "scratchy"..Granted, not a huge issue on the hill, but I want a jacket ok for woodland stalking as well..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nonsuch is your man Rich, he's had Swazi kit for a good few years and been able to compare the fabrics quite well.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I've got a Kryptek softshell and a green one for trashing on the hill. The Kryptek is Highlander which is great on the hill and in woodland in winter, but for those days with persistant sleat - west coast in Feb.... Cheers Shewie, I hope he sees this. I'm not going up until October so I have time.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I can't comment on the Aegis fabric, but having done a fair bit of hill stalking and hill walking, I'd seriously consider a modern softshell jacket as an outer, with a lightweight waterproof shell to go over it for when then weather really turns bad.

Military 1st carry softshells in various camo patterns, and at reasonable prices too..My only concern would be how noisy they were as some softshells can be a bit "scratchy"..Granted, not a huge issue on the hill, but I want a jacket ok for woodland stalking as well..

Cheers Pete, I've got to the point where I can say I've done a fair bit, but have yet to find the right jacket, being a soft southerner.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
The "right jacket" is always the one you leave behind in the morning! :lmao:

I'll be interested to hear what the feedback is on the breathability of Aegis myself. I had a quick look on their site but could see any figures being quoted.

The other fabric I'd like to try is Ventile, but I'm not sure how it would cope with several hours of damp/rain..

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The "right jacket" is always the one you leave behind in the morning! :lmao:

I'll be interested to hear what the feedback is on the breathability of Aegis myself. I had a quick look on their site but could see any figures being quoted.

The other fabric I'd like to try is Ventile, but I'm not sure how it would cope with several hours of damp/rain..

I've tried Ventile and it's just not right for this application. Aegis looks right, but maybe I won't know until I try!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Could be worth going for the full zip version to give more options if you get hot, over head can be a pain to get off quick so people tend to carry on and get over hot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE