Opinions on hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
It it possible to buy one that can withstand a very heavy person like myself? I put the Xtra in XXL no kidding.

I don't want to buy a hammock and find it fall to bits...

Thanks!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The Safari Deluxe hennesy hammock will take your weight I should imagine

we tested one with Jack, Tony and myself in it all at the same time

P1010151.jpg

its worth point out here that I have recently discovered a short coming with the hennesy hammocks

if you weight more than about 12 stone I would not recommend using a ultralight HH not because the hammock can not structurally hold your weight (it can easily) but because with more than this weight in a HH ultrlight the hammock begins to sag so far below the tarp (which is fixed to the line and so does not drop with weight as much as the hammock body does) that you are no longer protected from the elements

Lee (who must be around 15 stone) and my self (I'm 12 stone) set up two HH ultralites end to end in the same location

During the night it rained heavily I stayed nice and dry Lee got soaked

The safari is not effected by this problem as its tarp is HUGE but bear in mind with the other models that the maximum weight specified refers to structural strength but you may find that as you approach these limits you are no longer sufficiently protected by the trap

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the Safari model Tarp seperatly from the hammock itself?
Yes they are ... in both pu coated and the untralight sil nylon types. Hennessy can also custom build a hammock to your specs if you contact them, or you can buy parts individualy

:)
Ed

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Looks like I will have to get the Safari model then! :-D

I was quite interested as I have never used a hammock before and was looking for an alternative to a ground mat and thermorest lux model mat.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
At the weekend I discovered that the method I was using to put up my Hammock was fundamentally flawed, and was what was causing the sagging. :oops:

When tensioning the hammock, I was leaving the tarp connected at both ends. This meant that the tarp was taking up all the slack rather the central chord and the hammock itself, which was of course still slightly slack. As a result the tarp was being unnecessarily stretched (BAD move...), and the hammock body would simply sag when got into.

After re-tensioning with one end of the tarp not attached I found that the sag when in use was far less noticable (from 4-6 inches ground clearace to almost a foots worth), and the hammock more comfortable overall.

On the whole I think I was rather lucky not to have damaged the tarp sheet. :-?

It seems that every time I use the hammock something seems to crop up to spoil the enjoyment... on the other hand, I'm overcoming each one of them as they happen, so soon I'll get the full benefits of it!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well i'm using an ultralight backpacker HH, (/which i bought from Dave @ Wild life survival/wilderness living) and i am well over 13 stone (I carry lots of "survival muscle") I have never had a sagging problem. Quite the opposite infact, i am looking at stringing a second line to lift the tarp up a bit, to allow better airflow and view. The other thing iam considering is replaceing the tarp with an ozzy basha, so if i cannot string the hammock i have a very versatile basha as an alternative.

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE