Opinels

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I just purchased an opinel number 7 to go with my stuff but want to modify it slightly to make it legal.

The edge these come with is pretty sharp but is literally flat so i added a tiny bevel to support the edge and used some broon sauce to add a patina, but how do i get the lock of?

I also need to remove an eighth of an inch to get it under 3 inches but i'm unsure how to do this, would a dremel work or will i have to file the tip off?

I want to keep it pointy though so i'm thinking of dropping the point so it's shaped like a swiss army knife blade, does this sound like a good idea?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Can't help you Sappy, but I'm in a similar position myself having bought a No.8 Pruning knife from Lurch. I'd be really interested to see what folks come up with.

garethw

Settler
Why not just get a No6... its 70mm so under the limit. I think you'll most likely just screw up the blade trying to file it. These are such cheap knives its a shame to ruin one...

If you really want a dremmel with cut the lock ring off, I'm sure, but the knife will be pretty useless after that..

Why not just try and get a Laguiole!!

cheers
Gareth

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Why not just get a No6... its 70mm so under the limit. I think you'll most likely just screw up the blade trying to file it. These are such cheap knives its a shame to ruin one...

If you really want a dremmel with cut the lock ring off, I'm sure, but the knife will be pretty useless after that..

cheers
Gareth

The problem with the No6 is the handle also gets smaller and the no7 is very close to being too small in the handle.

I've read a post from someone who removed the lock in such a way he could put it back on.

TBH i think the tip is too thin so i think dropping the point would make it better.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Just added to the rustification by scraping the orange varnish of with my swiss army knife which makes it grippier, covering my hands in dirt and carving a few tent pegs, cleaned the excess mud of and now it's looking good :D

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
The problem with the No6 is the handle also gets smaller and the no7 is very close to being too small in the handle.

I've read a post from someone who removed the lock in such a way he could put it back on.

TBH i think the tip is too thin so i think dropping the point would make it better.

Lock the knife closed, then forcibly open the blade against the lock, the lock ring should fly off, you can then replace it by snapping it back over the lugs (quite tight)

This is what I do with my #6 edc
(you can even carry the lock ring lose and only replace it when you have a valid reason for a lock knife, then remove it again when you are done)

The bigger the knife the harder it is to remove the ring, if you can't pop it off try stretching it a bit with circlip pliers so it's looser

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
@ dasy2k1

Thanks dude :D i got it off and i like the look better without the lock, i underestimated how much it would ping off and lost the lock lol, it'll turn up in a few months :D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
there are guides on getting the lock ring off on youtube - its pretty simple just need a blade screwdriver and leverage at the right place

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

cheers
Gareth

Dunno about anyone else but an number 8s handle is pretty tiny in my hand, never mind the number 6.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Soaking in water helps stiffen the blade to slightly improve safety once the ring is off.

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Can't help you Sappy, but I'm in a similar position myself having bought a No.8 Pruning knife from Lurch. I'd be really interested to see what folks come up with.

i've got a couple of modified opinels mate, i'll try and remember to bring one along to the christmas meet so you can have a look.

as others have said re. removing the locking ring; just close the balde, twist the ring to the locked position and then open the blade, it takes a bit of effort and the ring tends to go flying off into the distance but it is very very easy to do. re-fitting the locking ring is just as easy. the one downside to doing this is that the locking ring will eventually become pretty loose, when this happens simply take the locking ring off, lay it on its side on something hard and give it a tap with a hammer, the ring closes back up a tad and everything should be nice and tight again.

as for modding the shape of the blade, get a file/stone/bit of wet and dry etc. and just have a go, it's so easy to do that you'll wonder what you were ever worrying about. the steel on opinels is really quite soft so it's pretty easy to work

HTH

stuart

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I got my lock off with long nose pliers just wedge them in the gap when closed then force it open a bit. If you file a bit off the locking ring so that it will turn the other way when closed then you can take it on and off very easily. I keep the lock in my pocket so I can turn it into a locker if I need one.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE