Opinel Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
Hi there guys.

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of this saw.

Number 12
opinel_saw.jpg

Is there anything better in the same price range?

The cheapness is the appeal, and it would probably be a quick fix job until I find out how much I'll actually use a saw.

At the moment my chopping is thrown between my Roselli Axe, and Busse Battle Mistress.
The saw would be for the few times I'd need to be precise or couldn't swing (few and far between IMO)

Thanks in advance

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
IIRC these are fairly expensive compared to some pruning saws. I saw one in for £5 in a local DIY store the other day
The opinals go for more than that I think
Opinals are much smaller than normal pruning saws I've seen and they lock closed too.
I have a couple and like them but I use a laplander more - maybe because It's nearest to hand
BTW saws are much more energy effecient than axes - although I agree not as much fun to use!

Mark

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I have an opinel no. 12 & I think it is a good saw for the money, it is more expensive than lots of pruning says available, but I think it is much better made, I have hade mine for quite a while and it has no blade wobble etc.
& it looks more bushcrafty!

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
Thanks guys.

Mark, I'd end up spending 43AUD shipped.
What kind of comparable saws could I look at?
I'd like reliability (brands I trust) and efficiency.

John, Thanks for the thumbs up. I like to be able to support a local supplier, and I was looking at getting a number 8 carbon for food/skinning work around camp. I like the simplicity in the system.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I have both the opinel saw and a bahco lapplander and I do much prefer the latter. It cuts more agressively and has a longer blade. However, the opinel is a nice convenient size for a pocket. But really, with a saw, blade length is a definate advantage.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
My CK pruning saw works real nice, though TBH I have little to directly compare it with, having never used a Laplander, Opi saw or Silky. Cost me around £10. Doesn't lock closed but I made a little oilcloth sheath for it.

Drywall/plasterboard saws, though cheap, have far too large teeth IMO. I've been wanting to try a compass saw as these can be got for not much money and have other uses.Of course they aren#t folding.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Around camp, or on a dedicated wood-cutting trip the Bahco Laplander is a better tool. I have both the Laplander and an Opinel saw. Mine is a slightly different design Opi to the one you've shown in that it doesn't lock closed and has a standard Opinel knife handle shape. The Opinel gets used more often simply because it's smaller and more convenient to carry. It goes shooting with me always and the weight of it goes un-noticed in my bag. Very useful for quietly trimming odd branches and sticks when settling into a makeshift hide where you don't want the distinctive sound of a large knife taking a swipe at them to echo around the woodland ;) The Opinel is small enough to carry easily in a trouser or normal jacket pocket, and it cuts well.
The only real downside of the Opinel is it's limited size when attacking larger stuff, and the fact that I have to keep a rubber band around it to stop it opening in my bag.
For larger wood, such as you might want for firewood and the like, then the Laplander is a better tool.

Either saw will work well on the sort of job they are designed for, you just have to decide what you want to do with the thing before you can choose between them :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Exactly, horses for courses
My Opi locks closed too, was yours an old version?
I know some of my old opi knives don't have the notch that locks closed but my new ones do.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE