Opinel no8 - worth a buy or not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I carry one in my ski bag for cutting meat and cheese for lunch when skiing, it's never left my ski bag at home as I prefer my leatherman. Guess that says something.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A classic knife - they have made literally millions of them - for many years every country bloke had one - for everything from cutting bailer twine to being probably the best rabbit skinning knife that exists. Not really a wood carver but can be pressed to serve.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Only thing annoying is how the wood can swell making the blade stick and hard to release at times, a hard knock doesn't always work.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
7eresyqy.jpg

I like them as they are cheap enough not to worry about losing. I never have lost mine though, still use my dads as my EDC which must be 30 years old plus.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have two Both 8's one carbon, one stainless. The carbon one is my choice of folder when I am in an old school mood. Every home should have one. The carbon blade helps throw a brilliant spark against a fire stick.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have had a No8 in carbon for some years now. I like the friendly look it has. I`d recommend you to get one.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a 10 in carbon now but for many years an 8 was my carry of choice.My son has it now.
They are beautifully simple and hold a razor edge after a little stropping.As has already been said
they are eating knife, hunting knife, food prep knife and utility knife.All things to all men ; small
wonder that they are the VW Beetle of the knife world.Oh and so inexpensive too.
Cheers , Simon

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
+1 for #8 carbon. Use mine for food prep & skinning. Agree with Barn Owl about the wood swelling when damp & causing the blade to stick, but using a small coin instead of your nail usually works. The blade does lock so there is a potential issue in the UK regarding suitability as EDC though.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have 2x No.8
1st one is a carbon blade for whittling and carving, and the 2nd one is INOX (stainless steel) blade, which is for food prep and peeling fruit. No.8 is my favorites.
I also use No.12 for taking bark off the mid sized (2- 3 inches diametre) branches of tree logs, and carry No.6 for EDC.
Opinel is a great classic. Love the beech handles, and razor sharp edges.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It's to a French man what a Mora is to a Swede: simple, cheap, foolproof and effective. It's the bog standard with my French friends for everyday use. Most women keep one or more in the picnic hamper, but communal meals are the chance for men to show their boys' toys and something more out of the ordinary is usually produced with a story to go with it. Usually along the lines of, "My grandfather gave me this knife on his death bed. He carried it every day and killed 100 germans with it when he was in the resistance. It's just as it was when he had it except for the blade which I've replaced twice and the new handle I made last week."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE