Opinel no.9

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Picked this up today from a toolbox in a local charity shop. The remnants of what was at one time, a valued knife. I think its quite an old one-as you can see the blades tip is somewhat differently shaped than your bs no.9 but, can't really tell if it was modded after purchase or not. Anyone have greater knowledge on these please? Its been degunked and now resides in a bain du vin for a week or so. Have a nice piece of spalted something or other for a new handle. The grind on the blade believe it or not for such an old, more or less discarded knife is incredible. You would not want to run even your fingernail down it I can tell you. No idea what the grind is-it is flat right across the blade i.e. no bevel whatsoever but it was definitely 'the' sharpest tool in the box! Sorry for the poor photos(only 4 wks til I get my decent camera!)

and possibly

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just looks like an older model in rough shape. The tip probably got sharpened away or snapped off as they are really fine and the owner just filed it back.

Give it a clean, a sharpen and a handle and keep it going. :)

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Well how appropriate for me if that's what it is? That's definitive then, an Opinel No. 9 is a childs knife. I don't see that anywhere on their website. The child who owned
that would have been a very careful person indeed to have survived ownership of this blade. It may look like a pussycat but its sharper than a razor even after all the neglect.
Why would that be for a child?

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
It's a starter knife just as sharp as a regular Opinal but without the pointy bit at the tip, it was the first knife my partner bought for her kids.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
No... what you have is a child knife by Opinel which uses a no 7 blade but had a rounded profile, not a No. 9 blade.

The No 9 has a standard profile for opinels

The blade has the following stamped on it: (from left to right) a tri pointed crown, a gloved hand with two fingers and thumb pointing left, OPINEL and underneath FRANCE. The blade lock has the following stamped on it: NO 09 made in france. The inner, original-untouched-unadulterated-properly riveted stainless ring joining blade and (what was a handle) is stamped: No 9 DEPOSE. The blade is 773mm long-clearly not a no. 7 which is 700mm. I am no expert but it appears that this is without any doubt a no. 9 that has been altered in that the blade has been shortened by some 27mm. Or is it still a childs opinel?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The blade has the following stamped on it: (from left to right) a tri pointed crown, a gloved hand with two fingers and thumb pointing left, OPINEL and underneath FRANCE. The blade lock has the following stamped on it: NO 09 made in france. The inner, original-untouched-unadulterated-properly riveted stainless ring joining blade and (what was a handle) is stamped: No 9 DEPOSE. The blade is 773mm long-clearly not a no. 7 which is 700mm. I am no expert but it appears that this is without any doubt a no. 9 that has been altered in that the blade has been shortened by some 27mm. Or is it still a childs opinel?

According to Opinel the blade on a No 7 and the child knife is 80mm and the No 9 is 90mm long. You say it's 773mm which is rather long, do you mean 77mm or 73mm?

What you've got is most likely a no 9 which has been modded down to imitate the child knife

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The blade is 77.3mm long. Its clearly a No.9 but in no way has been modded to be a childs knife. Its sharper than all my other knives as it is.

The child's knives from opinel come scary sharp same as all the other opinels.

The only difference is they've rounded and blunted the tip because a sharp pointed tip causes the most injuries apparently

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
The blade is 77.3mm long. Its clearly a No.9 but in no way has been modded to be a childs knife. Its sharper than all my other knives as it is.

The only reason it is called a child's knife as was already said is because it does not have a point to stab yourself with. Of course it is still going to be sharp because it is meant to cut. Many things get models made for children and most of the time it does not make them any safer to use. For example, when I lived in the USA there were rifles made for children and the only difference was that the barrel and stock were shorter and that the gun was lighter. It is still a firearm and thus dangerous. Children can't practice whittling with a turtle. In fact mora does something similar, they make a safety knife with a rounded tip so that you don't poke yourself but you can still cut yourself to the bone if you are negligent.

The reason people are saying that it has been modified to look like a child's knife is because it has the exact same profile that Opinel uses on their #7 child's knife. I suppose that it is possible that years ago they made a #9 with that profile. But for standard Opinel knives, and I say standard not specialties, I have never seen one that did not have a clip point.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It is a tradition in France for a grandfather to give his grandchildren their first knife. It may have been modified for this purpose because the child's version may not have been available in, say, a rural area while the standard Opinel range would be readily available anywhere in France.

The knife I bought my grandson cut him the first week he had it: my daughter-in-law was most understanding, but then she is a blacksmith!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I doesn't have a sharp point. Most kids understand sharp, but may be clumsy with a pointed blade.

Here's a handy Opinel chart.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
The Opinel no.07 childrens version blade shape is nothing like the shape of the one I have. Look at mine then look at opinels. The one I have is without any shadow of doubt,
a no.09 with a re-shaped blade. From the limited historic references available, I can say that it was made after 1955 but before 2000 due to its fittings and markings. That I am happy
with. Having now disassembled it completely and in the process of 'reclaiming' it; the blade will be shaped to be as pointed as I can possibly make it-to suit the child in me! I will do well to make it sharper in the blade than it is now and I must say, to my mind, it rubbishes all the talk I have heard/seen about this grind and that grind being better than others. Ultimately, the sharpness of the blade is paramount and believe me or not,i don't mind if you do not; you will not achieve a sharper cut. More will follow, no doubt.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's not a million miles off from the children's knife, but I agree it's a modified #9 if it has the zero grind. As mentioned, the end probably got snapped off and began a project.

Can I ask, what makes you so sure it's a #9? You didn't explain why you're so definite.

As for the grind being the best. It's not, there isn't one in the whole world of knives. A full flat zero will make an excellent slicer, it won't make a good all rounder. Horses for courses and all that.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
See post 7

Ah, got it, cheers.

The OP is apparently showing his find and asking for further info. As we weren't really informed properly until post 7 and we're all scurrying about offering information and pics which he's not really appreciating, I'm out.

In fact, despite the help, he seems to be getting the hump a bit. Likewise, but when people offer me even small things, they get thanked for it. Not once have you done this.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE