Operation Opt Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you can get Iplayer up the last episdoe of Open Country on radio 4 was interviewing a couple who did the same thing with a yurt on Exmoor.

Good luck, have a go, sod the planners.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
If you do move abroad then it might be handy to have a qualifacation such as TEFL - Teaching English As A Foreign Language. Lots of opportunities to earn enough to keep you going.

This is my plan. Glasgow uni do a month intensive CELTA (I think thats the right acrynom), I plan on moving over to Spain to learn the language and and doing the course the next time I'm back in the UK

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Big respect for you mate, this is something I have dreamed of for years but is still way out of reach (and I think the missus would kill me!!).

Think the France idea is a good one, you can pretty much do as you please there, once you buy land, it is yours to do with as you wish (slack planning laws).

Good luck,
Mike

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Well I hope you go ahead with it and that it works out, Im sure it will be great if you can become completely self - reliant, I think the hardest thing will be disposal of sewage and waste, Ive seen reed beds used to process sewage but I dont know how you would go about it.

Think you could set up a composting toilet, not sure if the reed bed option works in the same way.

Lepus

Jan 14, 2011
South Devon
Appologies to mods/site owner etc for this being my second post, hope it doesnt contravene any forum rules, but i happen to know of a lovely converted coach up for sale soon with woodburning aga fitted, PM me if you want more details :)
Will remove if this sort of post isn't on, I know different forums have different policies.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I realise this might be an unpopular question and I hate taxes of any kind, but are you planning to work and pay any taxes or contribute to poll tax?
If not, how are you intending to deal practically, morally and financially with rubbish collection (I doubt it's possible to live entirely rubbish-free), the issues of health care if you fall ill and of course education should you at some time decide to breed?

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Check out Caithness - cheapest land in the UK, lots of open country, very few people. Growing season is short though, so listen to Andy BB's recommendations for being close to the coast. Lots of cheap/free nutrition to be had from the clean water up there.

Also seriously consider Sandbender's living on a boat idea if you have any skills in that area. A single guy could get by quite happily on a 25 foot boat with a few live-aboard mods. A sailing boat allows you to go anywhere in the world you want if you know how.

I do think you're going to have to establish some kind of income stream however, whether it's an art or a craft or a part time job - opting out of the fiat currency system is not really realistic unless you're doing it as part of a cooperative community.

wickedwillow

Dec 29, 2010
malvern
I dont want to go on, but its been done before look at new age travellers.
You carnt hide a bus behind a hedge forever, also spotter plane often scan for illegal caravans etc looking for reflections from glass eg sola panels, windows.
Try living and working on farms. There are still many people in europe living in coaches, vans & yurts, most on their own land.
You may get lucky but not oftern in the uk, im not being negative I lived in a truck for over 10 years and loved it but with uk planning and nimbies its a difficult life.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
firstly i would recommend a book called living off grid...
also try www.greenshifters.co.uk there is a rack of land with a house within that budget in bulgaria you can get alot for your money out that way but it would take further research as to the ins and outs.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
do that thing where you bury a container. there was a thread on it recently. youre not getting spotted by plane if your two feet underground!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Try and put away £2K of your savings. If you have to come back you can buy some clothes, get a rent for cash, and look for a job. If you have no money you'll not look smart enough to get a job, you won't have an address and it will be very difficult to step back into the mainstream. I'm told that coming back is harder then stepping out if you have literally nothing.

Cheers,

Broch

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
My freind is in the process of buying in southern Ireland ahouse and 10 acres for 80 000 euros!
Now i know you have less money but be real interesting to see how much land is out there?! he was looking at a forrest and meadow for less than 25 000 euros .
D

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
do that thing where you bury a container. there was a thread on it recently. youre not getting spotted by plane if your two feet underground!

You're not exactly going to be inconspicuous whilst you're digging a 20' x 8' x 10'6" hole, and creating a 40 ton mountain of earth. Containers don't just magic themselves underground.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I doubt you can do it in the UK, your underfunded and to be frank you come across as young and underskilled for the tasks you propose.

Take more time, be more realistic and gather new skills.

Good luck for the future.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Take more time, be more realistic and gather new skills..."

Indeed. There are people doing what you want to do, many of them are looking for unskilled labour throughout the year, some are to be found in the UK, many more across Europe. Rather than trying to jump in feet first, spend a couple of years living out of a backpack working for others, learning useful skills. But make sure you don't spend all you money while doing so.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

:)

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
You're not exactly going to be inconspicuous whilst you're digging a 20' x 8' x 10'6" hole, and creating a 40 ton mountain of earth. Containers don't just magic themselves underground.

if anyone asks - you're digging for bait....

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Big respect for you mate, this is something I have dreamed of for years but is still way out of reach (and I think the missus would kill me!!).

Think the France idea is a good one, you can pretty much do as you please there, once you buy land, it is yours to do with as you wish (slack planning laws).

Good luck,
Mike

Not that slack from what I understand. My uncle owns agricultural land and he told me they were refused planning permission to build a 2 story (modest) house on part of it for his son. It may be because of the area he is in (Provence) with different restrictions to stop the agricultural land left being built up but from the sound of it it sounded similiar to our laws on privately owned wild/forest land

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk

If its farming its on, tell them it is some sort of tank for the safe storage of oil, diesel, chemicals etc. Or erect a massive tarp over the whole bit and unload it from a covered van into the hole, while the tarp keeps out prying eyes :)

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
:35:I am considering something very similar, if I were you I would read Off-Grid by Nick Rosen (no connection or commercial interest etc). His web-site also has some useful info, and communities that want people etc etc.

The book is really good and covers aspects of the law associated with living in a van etc.

Another good book is 'the moneyless man', he spent about £500 buying a caravan, talked a farmer into letting him have a small part of a field, grew some veg and gave half the veg to the farmer and did a few chores for his rent.

My personal view (and is the approach I will be taking later this year if I can sell my house) is that it is better to have a go now, whilst I am young (ish!) and able bodied, have no regrets, and if it fails, there is always the rat race to fall back on.

I agree with previous posters about courses / knowledge also. I have basic knowledge about self sufficiency, foraging, veg growing, green woodwork etc. But I will go on more courses when I am free of the rat race, they are often subsidised for those without work, and I aim to meet some very useful contacts on such courses. I find that like-minded people attend such courses and will be able to help with local knowledge...I hope.

Go for it, and keep us posted, as I will when I sell my house, Cornwall here I come!:cool:

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
have you considered joining up with a " community" I heard there are some in bristol area, just an idea
good luck

Nenook

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE