Operation Opt Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
My freind is in the process of buying in southern Ireland ahouse and 10 acres for 80 000 euros!
Now i know you have less money but be real interesting to see how much land is out there?! he was looking at a forrest and meadow for less than 25 000 euros .
D

Where?

The big problem with trying to do it in England under the radar, is when they catch, they are the one group of people in the world you do not want to own money to.

To be honest, I agree with a lot of what the people have said about just going, or planning to just go. Go get the skills that mean you can do this right, and well. Think - you come back here with a group of outdoor skills, that translate to an income. Also some skills that keep you fed.

I was not saying it cannot be done, but you need a way to make at least £65 a week in England.

Someone mentioned the Greenwood man, he sells stuff he makes, and runs courses etc. He proves it can be done, because he did it, but find out about his early days.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Put ten grand of your cash somewhere safe. Take the other five grand, get yourself a rucksack and your passport , and go..."

If you take £5000 (or have access to a bank account with £5000) then you will spend £5000.

Presuming any travel will be limited to Europe where you may pick up skills that will be or use back home then you can get by with much less cash, £500 at the most.

Try to avoid using bank cards, if you have someone you can trust back home give them a few thousand and have them wire cash to you if emergencies arise.

Keep yourself clean and presentable, especially when moving through towns and cities. Put some thought into how you will deal with health issues while your away.

Take nothing of great personal value. Do not carry a large fixed blade knife. Try to be good humored, even when surrounded by apparently hostile or indifferent locals.

Write a journal (with dates)

:D

D

DarkHorse

Certainly some great food for thought here.

Thanks guys - so much to look into :)

When living on a boat, don't you have to pay fees to be sat in waters near land or are there places where you can be sat there for free?

I'm liking the living in a tent and travelling europe gaining skills idea a lot at the moment.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
When living on a boat, don't you have to pay fees to be sat in waters near land or are there places where you can be sat there for free?

Mooring fees add up to about £3000 a year your boat license is about £500, propane is cheap, diesel is not, pumping out your waste tank c.£15, water and electric are sometimes included in mooring fees.

bearbait

There are places you can anchor off or tie up for free. Some countries, e.g. France, have such enlightened local authorities that you can stay for free, or the first three nights free or some such, in the centre of town figuring you are going to spend money in town while you are there.

I spent two and a half years living on a boat with zero income and so used to anchor off or find free moorings as often as possible. However I did find that in the Mediterranean the yacht charter companies "park" their boats in the free sheltered anchorages in the off season meaning the liveaboard yachties have to anchor, what are essentially their homes and belongings, in more exposed places. And then it's a worry leaving the boat unattended for any significant time

Don't underestimate the skills required for living on and sailing a small boat at sea. It, and its gear, need regular maintenance as it is your lifeline. The boat is always in motion, even in a sheltered anchorage. Access to sea food will generally be good but foraging further inland ashore is more difficult. I found that I only really saw the edge of the countries I visited unless I hired a car or backpacked inland.

I think for what you want to do a sea boat is probably an unnecessary (and expensive) overhead and a constraint. However if you're in to sailing and travel the lifestyle is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE