Operation Midlife Crisis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I know this is not really a bushcrafty question, but I was hoping for the benefit hundreds of combined years of camping and packing experience.

A few mates and I are considering a motorbike trip around Europe next summer, we are not Charlie and Ewan wanabees, we first talked about this in ’77 when we should have been learning more useful stuff, this is – Operation Midlife Crisis! Anyway, even if it doesn’t happen, I’m having a ball trying to work out what to take. We’re planning on doing three weeks, probably camping most of the time but B&Bing too. Let’s be honest, we’re 40 and we’ll probably be eating in restaurants more evenings than not too. So with an approximate luggage capacity of about 85l excluding tent and thermarest (strapped on the bike) what kit would you take.

Realistically as far as cooking goes I’m thinking a brew morning and evening and the odd rainy day soup etc and other none restaurant meals being cold, so I was thinking my crusader cooking system with 4 hexy tablets a day (20 days – 80 tablets – 7 packs) giving my 2 pints of hot brews a day. I think gas and especially meths would been looking around for fuel on our travels and petrol stoves would mean sooty sooty sooty, plus all of these including the trangia would be much bulkier, even though I do like the idea of a gas lamp sharing the cylinder. BUT – I’m open to offers and experience.

If I went crusader (and so not the gentle hush of the gas lamp – still tempted) then lighting would be from a candle lantern with a spare candle and a pocket torch.

Although probably the sensible solution is to take more powerful and flexible kit and split it between us, but at the moment I’m liking the idea of being autonomous – advice welcome too.

So, a few clothes and a washing line with the aim of washing out something everyday, perhaps a folding wash basin, first aid, book, cards, CORKSCREW, sleeping bag, spork, lighter, leatherman, GPS and atlas, camera...

And as many other things to play with as I can fit in, but from your experience, what have I not thought about.

Thanks for reading, oh and should I really by the GS I want???

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi AJB
I think ird go for a petrol stove rather than hexi, I know bulk and weight are important but its no bother if you split the load. Hexi is really dirty also and not very flexible if you decide to go to a remote area perhaps or if you have to cook a proper meal. You can get petrol anywhere where as solid fuel may only be avalible in camping shops.
Check out MSR's titan kettle and wisperlite stove- not cheap but great gear.
Hill walking / outdoor type clothes dry quick and wash easy. Trousers with zip off legs means you don't have to carry shorts. Some soft shoes like crocs are great and are more protective then sandals.
Wash kit only need be some shampoo (or all purpose soap you can wash your clothes in), tooth brush/paste and a pack towel.
outside of your bike gear, you only need two sets of clothes one clean/one dirty (or wet and dry). Pack everthing in plastic bags or waterproof bags.
Anything your missing you can buy when your there.
Just my two pence worth I hope you have a great trip. Ed

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Camping Gaz refills are available pretty much everywhere, meths is hard to get in quantity in Eastern Europe as folks tend to drink it given the chance.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
For cups of tea and the odd packet soup, get a JetBoil. They're small, lighweight and they do the job of heating up water quickly and efficiently. The little cartouches of gas (125ml) can easily boil (real bubbling boil) 10 litres of water. Or bring a big Primus cartouch (450 ml for about 5 quid) and drink 40 litres of soup/tea over three weeks. Both are widely available in DIY stores. it's tempting to go for a petrol stove since you're carrying fuel by default on a motorbike, but you're right about the soot and smell.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Meths might be hard to get but pure alcohol is pretty cheap. That's why you get all the guys doing "urban bushcraft" under park benches.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks for the tips guys.

I’m a kit freak so sadly have all the kit suggested. The thing I like about the crusader for this trip is that it’s the virtually same size as all the other stove suggestions but in that pack includes the cooker, pan/kettle water bottle and mug. All the other stoves would require other kit to compare. I suppose as far as a combined eating and cooking system the jet boil comes close, but I couldn’t carry enough gas for the trip, I know it’s readily available, I just don’t want to spend the time looking for camping shops when we could be being sad middle aged men! But, it would mean I could take the gas lamp.

Really appreciate the suggestions so far, nothing is ruled out and they are all making me think!

Cheers guys.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>I suppose as far as a combined eating and cooking system the jet boil comes close, but I couldn’t carry enough gas for the trip

Three weeks is 21 days. A 450g cartouche boils more than 40 litres. You're really going to be drinking more than 3 pints of soup per day?

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Done quite a bit of touring through europe on the bike - last one was 2000miles in 48 hours to get a bike race near berlin - man did my wrists hurt after that!

For my money get/take the camping gaz option. Canisters avaialble everywhere even some petrol stations. It's fast clean and cheap. I wouldn't worry about taking too much fuel as the petrol stations/roadside cafes are a different class over ther. Good food at a reasonable price and the coffee is like disco juice so no need for red bull.

As for the GS - head says BMW heart says Ducati. At least my Duc looks pretty when its broken down and the GS riders go past.

Most of all - enjoy.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Most of all - enjoy.

Great advice.

My advice for what its worth is stop worrying about kit, start working on whatever plans you need to make it happen rather than not happen. If you set off without anything it turns out you need you can pick it up on the way, your not in Mongolia. You are with chaps on bikes, you will probably all wear the same set of clothes for 2 weeks anyway.

I got great advice when I was 18 from an older mate who had spent ages planning a landrover round Africa trip with a mate, they had bought all the kit then the mate got offered a good job and backed out, my mate never did the trip and always regretted it.

You don't need lots of kit to travel, you don't need lots of money, you do need time to wind down and settle into it, you do need to relax and have a relatively open agenda that allows you to take a day looking at interesting stuff that turns up unexpectedly.

As for the GS, if thats what really does it for you and you can afford it then go for it. My best biking mate always wanted one, he liked it well enough until he got stuck on the beach when I was riding around on my suzuki SV. You can tour Europe on any bike from a 50cc moped up. If you get the GS would it be so precious you would not want to leave it while you go walking? or take it off road in case you drop it?

Here's me and mates bikes in Ireland a couple of years ago...mine is the one with the throwover paniers and kit bungyed across the pillion seat, spend less enjoy more.

bikes.jpg

bikes2.jpg

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Ducati, and make sure you visit the factory.

Did it back when Foggy was the man, didn't understand a word as it was all in Italian but boy was it fun.

Also the Ferrari factory not far either and worth a walk round the museum, they don't let you in the factory to much secret stuff apparently. There is a couple of old F1 cars there that you can sit in if your ar*e is as small as a gymnasts - mine isn't!

Bologna a lovely place also - aahh memories.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey MJK, many thanks for your comment, my point was that I didn’t want to have to carry a 450 canister, just because it is so bulky, but thanks.

A12jpm great point – cheers and “As for the GS - head says BMW heart says Ducati. At least my Duc looks pretty when its broken down and the GS riders go past.” Made me laugh – you park with style!

Robin, brilliant advice and great picture, thank you.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
To be honest, I'd always use a petrol stove if I was travelling bycar or motorbike, just for the sheer ease of getting fuel and the ability to take it from your vehicle if needed. You say you've got most of the kit recomended already. If that included the whisperlite, then consider taking that, because the ability to cook meals for the two of you, including breakfast, would add to you comfort over a month.

If you've got this stuff already, you'll be able to make the right decision for yourself.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Philaw,

Yep, have a Whisperlite, it was bought with something like this in mind. But, although I love it and its power, it’s just so sooty and messy and I can imagine putting it together to brew up, then dealing with without getting the soot on me and my luggage would just be a pain.

But as far as fuel goes it is the obvious choice.

Thanks for the input and making me rethink!

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
And the Beretta musem, I went and it was closed for two weeks, DAMN, others say it is very, very good, if you like that kind of thing.

And The Ice Man

And the Museum of Hunting in France, south of Paris cant remember just where

And the Dolamite mountains

And Calcio Storico if you are really brave

How long are you going for?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Stelvio, Pordoi, Sella and alongside Lago de Garda on the way. Also go up the private road to the Tre Cime Lavaredo. The Giro, tour of italy, bike race is on just now eurosport, tomorrows stage is Marmolada. Will give you a flavour of the roads and all the fuels for a Kelly Kettle.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE