Open question - Financial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
I'm sorry WG, but that's just not true; there is a massive choice of ethical funds that are very successful.

Yep, maybe have a look here, if you are concerned about ethical investing.

Not financial advice, obvs, just an example

Reactions: TeeDee

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I recently invested all my life savings into a double your investment after 12 months scheme. African spaghetti mines give massive returns, I've been faxed the figures and they are unbelievable. I'll send you my bank details, forward on the 20 large and I'll pass it on, or I could email you their details for a smallish fee ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I recently invested all my life savings into a double your investment after 12 months scheme. African spaghetti mines give massive returns, I've been faxed the figures and they are unbelievable. I'll send you my bank details, forward on the 20 large and I'll pass it on, or I could email you their details for a smallish fee ?

Thanks for the input. As ever - useful!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Swiss or German made granite cobblestones of course.

I prefere secure investments and solid quality.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So my concern is currently we have ( in the western financially interconnected world ) is that we have record LOW interest rates ( some negative rates in a few countries and many on the brink of considering implementing them ) and record HIGH asset & share prices , nearly all main central banks going on a massive printing press spree of FIAT ( unbacked ) currency - the USA has printed off in the last few months 20% of ALL US Dollars in existence ever... and that doesn't take into account the various printing of the Euro-Dollar which could be equally argued to be the True Global reserve currency.

Japan , which I'm using as an example of a country that has experienced nearly 3 decades of near Zero interest rate , substantial financial stimulus packages and still show no signs of getting out of the hole that exists.

Shares - With excessive Q.E and printing of Money its entirely possible to skew true metrics and create the illusion that share prices going up is a good thing- whilst in fact they maybe collapsing but in an upwardly fashion.

Premium Bonds - Again with excessive Q.E Each Pound of Dollar printed is basically worth less and less - so the occasional win on the Premium bond is worth even less and the pounds invested to realise that lottery are also worth less when a true figure of inflation are applied.

Cryptocurrency - I don't know too much ref these but my mind can wrap around that at least Bitcoin itself is the digital equivalent of Physical Gold as it has fungibility and scarcity as the drivers of its perceived value. Also being off the grid in financial terms make it more attractive to certain investors.

Property - Can easily be argued that we in the UK have highly over valued house prices but as demand continue to soar , supply and build continue to lag behind and record low interest rates and government help schemes continue to fuel 'values' to climb.

Gold/Silver & Precious metals - Mostly hated by the banking institutions even although many central banks have been quietly buy Gold by the Tonne for the last Decade , it obviously doesn't offer a yield or return but mostly seen as a safe haven in terms of normal day to day financial instability.
It may well become back to the fore as a form of a new currency base if we collectively agree that the FIAT experience ( when unrestricted ) has limitations - a return to fractional creation of M1 currency.

I think overall - we live in the most uncertain of financial times at all - I can't say since the GFC of 2008 The global banking system has ever established true financial stability to give an accurate economic view , it was too skewed with the QE bundles being thrown out. I feel that the Covid reactions my well signal even greater issues and the future looks very odd - In short I can't see the Dollar surviving which will ( already does ) have knock on effects to everything else.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Whereas I can't argue with your assessment of the chaos of the current situation, it all depends on your timescale of investment; the overall trend is for business, commerce, and economy to grow despite knock backs. If you want to stay ahead of inflation you have to take some risks (albeit not necessarily big ones). I take a 'low pass filter' view of the world's economies with a cut off frequency of 10 years or so (to put an engineering perspective on it).

From a selfish point of view (and for anyone that has a pension) the whole idea that it's not worth saving and that people should spend their savings and earnings is great; it boosts the economy and increases the value of my portfolio :) (a very simplistic view I know but I am a bear of little brain).

Reactions: TeeDee

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
It depends when you want money back or what you’re putting it away for. Also consider how involved you want to be with it day to day and your personal attitude to risk…Doing nothing also carries risk of depreciation so you might as well shoulder some risk by doing something. If you’re looking for regular income, or growth, or just for it to be there (and still worth something) when you need it then that will all inform where you put it, or how you decide how to spread it across the various options.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If all debt is covered, to a degree and one has money to spend, I'd buy physical gold and silver. Maybe half your investment or just start to buy say an ounce of gold each month, like a Krugerrand or Britannia and see how you like it.

Like any investment it can go both ways but you get a nice feeling having a few physical bars or coins in your hand.

Humour me.

Are there any fundamental underlying principles why you are suggesting PMs?
So I mean , is there a explainable reason why you are suggesting PM's over all other investments.

TIA

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Didn't tesla go to the biggest company by assets from lower down the list then dropped again when bitcoin took a bit of a dive over some security issue or other?

Aiui crypto currency has become a bit of a thing among the billionaires club. Not as good for smaller investors but I guess that's the same all over.

Have you got any good ideas for your investment pot off the forum yet? Anything come up that you're interested in? Must admit I am curious as to what the outcome is going to be. Is that a bit nosey of me? I know us Brits are more reserved when it come down to our money, a big generalisation I know but mostly true IME.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Didn't tesla go to the biggest company by assets from lower down the list then dropped again when bitcoin took a bit of a dive over some security issue or other?

Aiui crypto currency has become a bit of a thing among the billionaires club. Not as good for smaller investors but I guess that's the same all over.

Have you got any good ideas for your investment pot off the forum yet? Anything come up that you're interested in? Must admit I am curious as to what the outcome is going to be. Is that a bit nosey of me? I know us Brits are more reserved when it come down to our money, a big generalisation I know but mostly true IME.

Hi ,
Sorry - I didn't mean to mislead , I'm not saying I have £20k and I'm wondering where to put it. I have funds set aside and yes I will be investing ( or have already invested in different things ) but I was more trying to ascertain what the 'vibe' of people on the forum was.

I made the initial question to see if people would factor in the whole last wasted year of Covid and the reactionary ( although most probable necessary ) use of Furlough , stimulus cheques and the ongoing use of printing presses by central banks.

I read earlier that the USA in the last 12 MONTHS have printed 35% of all Dollars EVER in creation...

I probably follow this stuff far more than I should and there is most definitely an element of paranoid chicken little inside me that has fun with my imagination... that being said- Facts are Facts.

A few years back I was convinced Graphene would be the next big thing and yet that has gone relatively silent. I'm more convinced now that even something as basic as Copper will yield excellent results long term as the western world seems determined to become fully electrified and implement EV on the road system.

The one asset no-one mentioned which is fine was property and BTL's - I know one can invest 20k in the north east to secure a modest rental property for an instantly very profitable monthly return. Thats one option.

Like I say , I was more wondering if people had views on the amount of Debt & inflation that we are going to collectively carry for the foreseeable future and the best ( or differing ) ways to mitigate exposure and protect assets.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Graphene still is a big thing is just that it's more mainstream tech now and not the new thing. Interestingly I'm still considering whether to apply for a PhD in 2d materials like graphene. Manchester and Lancaster universities are a research centre in the area with a big government investment in research at those institutions. It seems the government likes to see university collaboration in particular research areas. Like technical centres focusing on the regional strength. Sheffield steel, Birmingham in engineering particularly automotive / metal bashing, etc.

I must remember to check whether that 2d material book is out in paperback. It's been out in hardback formats for a year or more but I can't afford to buy a book in triple figures just out of pure interest. However £40 is nearer the point I cease sweating when handling over my cash for a single book!!!

It's an interesting topic because they're discovering more 2d materials all the time. Bear in mind they were predicted In the 1930s IIRC but fabricated but not fully detected in the 60s I think. It's not the production but the verification that it's a true thin layer 2d material and proving it's got the theoretical properties. Since then there's a whole collection of new 2d materials often with seriously how properties for electronics but also I believe medical applications. It'll be big business soon enough. In the meantime but some trail shoes with graphene in while you're waiting or bike or car tyres.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Graphene still is a big thing is just that it's more mainstream tech now and not the new thing. Interestingly I'm still considering whether to apply for a PhD in 2d materials like graphene. Manchester and Lancaster universities are a research centre in the area with a big government investment in research at those institutions. It seems the government likes to see university collaboration in particular research areas. Like technical centres focusing on the regional strength. Sheffield steel, Birmingham in engineering particularly automotive / metal bashing, etc.

I must remember to check whether that 2d material book is out in paperback. It's been out in hardback formats for a year or more but I can't afford to buy a book in triple figures just out of pure interest. However £40 is nearer the point I cease sweating when handling over my cash for a single book!!!

It's an interesting topic because they're discovering more 2d materials all the time. Bear in mind they were predicted In the 1930s IIRC but fabricated but not fully detected in the 60s I think. It's not the production but the verification that it's a true thin layer 2d material and proving it's got the theoretical properties. Since then there's a whole collection of new 2d materials often with seriously how properties for electronics but also I believe medical applications. It'll be big business soon enough. In the meantime but some trail shoes with graphene in while you're waiting or bike or car tyres.

I meant more purchasing the Mining Stocks in Graphene itself as opposed to the technology not doing much - I'm sure its being developed in backrooms and will deliver innovative technologies once delivered.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE