Onna Flats in Okinawa, Japan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
About two weeks ago, i had an opportunity to attend a field trip for my Geology class to Onna Flats here in Okinawa.

Just one of the many cliffs here that have been undercut by wave action
UndercutCliffs.jpg

When the ocean wears away everything but a finger of rock, what you have is a "sea stack". I believe my professor called these smaller stacks "fingers".
SmallSeaStack.jpg

Here's many tidepools that have been worn away to form a pitted surface. Each pit was roughly 3 - 5 feet (approx. 1 to 1.5 meter?) in diameter.
MultipleTidePools.jpg

One of the coolest things here--a coral rock formation forming a giant cave. Since this cave had been worn through to the other side, the more technical term is a "sea arch".
BigCaveWideView.jpg

Several pools were inside. 2 of them possibly as deep as 10 feet (3m)! (No I didn't jump in to find out, heh heh.)
BigCaveShot.jpg

And inside the big cave sea arch, looking out at the ocean.
BigCaveOceanView.jpg

Very interesting place!

I've got more pictures coming of my field trip from yesterday of Teniya. This is a site of an old sea trench (plate subduction and all that) that had been push above water. Sedimentary layers turned vertical and wavey-like! Stay tuned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE