One tough tree

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
The Jack Pine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pine is one of the toughest trees I know of. I've seen them blown over and held up off the ground by their branches only to keep on growing.
Quite often they snap off part way up, get hit by lightning, partly burn in a forest fire etc etc etc, only to keep on growing.
Often they are totally rotten in the centre with just a bit of sapwood keeping the tree alive.
They grow and thrive in pure sand that would kill many other trees.
To me, it's an amazing tree, a survivor.

Here's one that's still living even though ants had taken up residence in a past summer, in turn attracting a bear which has done some damage
IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Despite this, it's still alive
IMG_1304.jpg

In my area, they are the most commonly used tree for firewood.

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
you should see the hard wood tree here in aus, i seen chain saws break when tryin to chop them there fxckin super hard XD guess that way there australlian hard wood

---
Skipp

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I made a mantle piece once out off a piece off -australian -`jarra` hardwood -railway sleeper it was !! - harder than concrete to carve !!!

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
you should see the hard wood tree here in aus, i seen chain saws break when tryin to chop them there fxckin super hard XD guess that way there australlian hard wood

Skipp

I have heard of your hardwoods before. Very hard, yes! The hardest tree we have here is birch.
When I said the jack pine is tough, I was referring to it's hardiness to survive after injuries. The wood itself is very soft.

Callum

Aug 21, 2010
Scotland
I think Jack Pine is one of the boreal trees that relies on fire to germinate the seeds. If I remember it's part of the life cycle of the species and the idea is that the new tree starts to grow when the competition has been wiped out by the fire and it therefore gets a head start.

Callum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE