one of Sweden's best spooncarvers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sweden is known amongst green woodworkers for spooncarving largely through the writing of Wille Sundqvist and teaching of his son Jogge. There are very few professional spooncarvers though and Fritiof Runhal is one of the best. He is in the UK at the moment and has just taught a course. Full write up of the course here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2011/09/spooncarving-course-with-fritiof-runhal.html
and lots of inspirational pics of Fritof's spoons here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-of-swedens-best-spooncarvers.html

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Few more pics, this is a spoon blank cut in less than 5 minutes with the axe, I never saw anyone hollow a spoon with an axe before.
IMG_7754.jpg

Fritiof frequently works left handed
IMG_7734.jpg

This means that the blank tends to stay very symmetrical and also that he can see the line he is cutting whether with axe or knife. We all learned to work left handed with both axe and knife, it felt like being a beginner again but was very useful.
Spoons made by student
IMG_7900.jpg

and another students work
IMG_7903.jpg

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Awesome spoonage! Havent carved one in a while, and this has got me on the case, except I will wait till Im off night shifts. Gonna be a good Monday sunshine garden activity!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very very cool all of them so much tallent. Can i ask what the deal is with the slot in the spoon?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Very very cool all of them so much tallent. Can i ask what the deal is with the slot in the spoon?
Yep, it has been quite humbling and inspirational at the same time. The slot? I guess that is the salad servers in the first picture? Folk do salad servers in different ways, slots, forks etc. I have never really understood why salad servers should have one vaguely forky one and one spoony one but it is sort of tradition.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's truly inspirational stuff! Lovely to see the course students so inspired as well. Will he be making another visit in the not-too-distant future at all?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE