One mackerel lure to rule them all?

Kirsty

Oct 2, 2017
Hebrides
I am a novice at fishing but have previously caught a few trailing a line from my kayak. I found that multiple hooks lead to a tangle in my inexperienced hands so want to use just one, or two at most. I have left it a little late this year but hope that work and weather won't mean no mackerel at all. So, to that end can anyone tell me what is the most appealing mackerel lure? Thank you :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think mackerel aren't that fussy, they tend to mostly snap at something on the initial drop from a cast I gather. My problem is my local beaches are very shallow so I have to cast a long way to get to them. I tend to use a metal lure that matches what they are likely to feed on locally, so something resembling a sand eel or a sprat.

From a boat I would have thought a simple set of white feathers would work well, or whatever colour is used locally. You can cut down a set of 6 to a less tangly two or three. Or tie your own and use a more rigid line.

If you catch one most of my fishing books suggest cutting a slither off your catch and add to each of the feather hooks.

Reactions: Kirsty

stonepark

Forager
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
May 9, 2024
somerset
I am a novice at fishing but have previously caught a few trailing a line from my kayak. I found that multiple hooks lead to a tangle in my inexperienced hands so want to use just one, or two at most. I have left it a little late this year but hope that work and weather won't mean no mackerel at all. So, to that end can anyone tell me what is the most appealing mackerel lure? Thank you :)
The cheap, simple, ribbon mackerel trace rigs work really well for beach casting so I'd imagine they'd would work just as well being towed by a kayak, to stop them tangling you could tie a float or an empty plastic bottle to one end with a small weight on the other, or just cut off the extra hooks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE