One last fire maybe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
As just about everything in bushcraft seems to be illegal in some way, its probably time to burn the kit.

No point to it, no point at all.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I rather think you should recycle your kit Steve - I think theres a law against burning it ;)

Take a break from it and come back if its getting you down, its just a hobby. Thats why I take loads of pictures, shoot, cook, brew etc. Too much of one thing and you can overdose.

I must admit, I may take a break from Bushy stuff myself for a while - it'll call me back eventually though :eek:

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It is possible to stay within the law, but can make things more difficult to stay 100% within the law:rolleyes: . I find my main problem is venue, getting permission isn't always easy but is possible. I recently looked at a sign in a forest that had the forestery commision small print and it basically outlaws everything, scary reading really if they stuck to the letter of it.:cop:
Has there been a particular incident, or has something been misinterpreted?

But whatever it is don't let it get you down, and if that doesn't help take reds advice and recycle, I will even send you my address;) !

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
No particular incident.

Just an acumilation, reading threads that mention the law on this and the law on that, I just dont feel its worth taking chances on it.

Wheres the fun in looking over your shoulder all the time, fearing you have broken some law or other?

Thats how I feel, like a criminal, I might be intending to use my knife to stab someone, I might be planning on breaking the countryside act by picking a plant, I might be ...........it just goes on.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
I know how you feel mate, especially with the where to camp, everywheres covered by some law or sub law that makes something you wanna do illegal. same with the knives, i would like to carry my leatherman (handy cos im a mechanic) but because i live in the east end of glasgow (not the best of areas) and im young, i would instantly get branded as criminal.

makes me sad sometimes.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
oh, and the recycle thing, you know, I would actually feel as if I was an accesory to someone else breaking the law.

Don't worry about that I am beyond redemption!

I think sometimes when people offer advice and mention laws taht may apply it is just so people are aware of any possibility. I agree with you about how bad things can look sometimes but generally the wording of the law is to cover every eventuality so that a scrote taking a machette into a pub can't get off on a technicality, it doesn't mean you will get a swat team bearing down on you in the woods for shaving a stick!
As long as things are done with a bit of moderation, knowledge and common sense you should be OK.Moderation for example, picking a berry or two is fine but commercially emptying an area of fruit would not. Knowledge for example, is knowing what you are picking and it is not the rarest type of blackberry in the country. And it would be common sense not to go picking berries in front of a forest ranger out with a group! The problem lies with what is moderation, if there is a way to exploit something the peopel who would do the exploiting would find ways around the laws!:rolleyes:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I understand what you are saying Goose, but its just the way I am.

Love it or loathe it the law must be obeyed.

Remember also that laws are open to interpretation, common sense can be applied and even if it isn't initially as you move along someone somewhere will have common sense! The stupid arrests that appear in the papers have usually been settled by accepting a caution to get out of there rather than sitting it out and waiting for someone with common sense. I don't worry too much about the law, not that I don't respect it but I mean that generally speaking I have some trust left in the system. But I wouldn't just accept something I think isn't right, I have only had problems with things like(alleged) speeding and parking tickets, I didn't roll over and pay and eventually the right decision(in my favour) was made. So the system does work as long as you use the system rather than using the shortcuts that are there to make things easier.

Just because someone(even a bobby!) says it could be illegal doesn't mean it is!;)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Love it or loathe it the law must be obeyed.

Admirable that you think like that. I'm puzzled over what laws you may be breaking. If access to land is the problem in my experience (and others here too) patience is what you need. Keep looking and asking for people that may own land or know people who do. Patience will in the end pay off I'm sure. You can also do a whole load of bushy stuff without it. Forestry commission may now allow a whole load of stuff but they do allow you to learn tree identification. There are thousands of places you can go and look for tracks and countless places you can observe wildlife.

My first proper bushcraft instructor gave me some really sensible advice.Ask why you want to learn bushcraft. You will get bored and stagnate if all you do is set up camp then take it down then do the same over and over. You need a reason to practice bushcraft.

Not really sure how this fits. I may be a million miles of mark - if so then I'm s.orry.

Shame to leave what is such a rewarding hobby when I'm sure a little time could help fill the gaps.

I may live miles away down in somerset but is there anything I can do to help? I have a friend who does gardening for pub chains up your way sometimes - he may know of landowners - where in lincolnshire are you?

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I know what you mean by sitting it out Goose. some years ago I applied for a shotgun license, I have 3 minor juvenile convictions, all under age eleven, I didnt declare them, arrested, court, as you would expect, but I pleaded not guilty.

One year and five court apearences later, the case was thrown out, for although the rehabilitation of offenders act does not apply to shotgun/firearms certificates, there is a clause in Stones (thats the set of blue books on the clerks desk, how to run a magestrates court basically) about a juvenile offence must not be mentioned in court.

My point is that the magestrate was all for sending me to where the sun dont shine, and if I hadnt been able to afford a good solicitor at the time, he would have.

Its just not worth taking the chance, IMO, (what others do or don't do is none of my business).

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I know what you mean, ya get caught making a brew on a nature reserve nowadays ya gonna be in the **** , Can even go to jail for it and we have Rapists,kidnappers,Plain scum just getting a telling off "because the system isnt working" , the law should sort out its priorities

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I have to say it has been a bit depressing to read through this thread. I understand the thoughts and concerns expressed. At times it does feel as if every hobby I like is about to be banned or made as hard as possible (green laning and bushcraft). I get to camp out once a year at the wilderness gathering, when you go to the local woods to collect birch bark you sneek your knife in so as not to be seen. But listening to the wind in the trees, the smell of the woods and watching the dog sniffing around does make for some rest bite from the computer screen, work and stress.

The only thing I can say is that if we let all these small minded idiots ruin everything we do then all that will be left is playstations, TV and computers for excitement. The result is only too obvious when you walk the streets and watch people struggle to move from their car to the shop .

Keep smiling and hoping that at some point people will realise that the problem is not an object (like a knife or a gun) but the moron who cannot be trusted with them.

Best of luck and I hope you don't give up bushcraft. You obviously have more friends than you have ever met.

Mike

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Steve,

You could be in just as much danger walking the streets of London.

Look up in the sky and you might be a terrorist plotting to blow up a building. Look at a pretty gal and you could be a stalker planning to rape her. The law is for control of the lawful not for the prevention of real crime. Those blokes know how to twist words so that ANYBODY can be put in jail for doing nothing.

Might as well enjoy the outdoors when you can. As long as you act halfway reasonable you are in no more danger than you would be sitting on the couch watching the tube and gaining more cholesterol. :lurk:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
SteveR.
S0rry youre apparantly on a bit of a downer by what you.ve read in some threads and quite frankly, I can relate to being mightily pee'd off whenever some smarthat leaps in and sounds real clever by quoting paragraph numbers on everything, from the criminal justice acts ,to the most far-out and obscure localbye-law.
You will, I,m sure , have found this kind of thing on most forums which whiff of a degree of individualism.

IMHO its a matter of perception, but if such perception is preceded by a lot of similar examples of the quoting of draconian sounding laws, then perhaps its easy to be led into a mindframe which eventually accepts the whole ,of what looks like learned and superior knowledge........i.e. you will have arrived where a lot of authority would wish you to be.
Or, maybe this is just my perception.

Take a breather, fellah; you gotta get some pleasure out of life.

Ceeg

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
The only way to commit a crime in this country is to be caught doing it (or by posting the video on youtube).

I've been practising bushcraft since before I knew what to call it and have had very few problems, I have been chased off a few bits of land/water that I definatly shouldn't have been on though.

The secret is to remain unobtrusive, if your not meant to light fires where you are, either: dont and use a hexy or gas stove, or go elsewhere, or don't get caught.

Don't carry your knife where its obvious either carry it in the bottom of your pack or under something in your pack until your on the hills, its not illegal to have a knife for a good reason.

And Never Ever get caught with a stag hanging out of the back of your estate car, if you do they'll find the couple of pheasant and the pigeons and not be remotely happy.

Don't give up mate there's always scotland where we have the right to roam and the right to camp.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Steve

The law is for the guidance of wise men and can be interpreted many ways.

The guys and gals are right you dont need to feel so isolated and oppressed, b,craft is only a title that covers a range of skills and activities.

Like alpha says get a gas stove, I dont know Lincs well but get to the coast miles of hiking a bit of fishing maybe foraging on the shore camping in the dunes.

If you applied for a ticket you must have some experience of shooting offer your services as a beater in ex. for some camping and rabbiting you dont need a ticket for an air rifle and with spent convictions so long as you declare them you can reapply for a SG certificate and they have to have a reason to refuse.

Chin-up mate, Pothunter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE