One handed first aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I was just getting used to the opening and closing of a new SAK today when I managed to remove a neat slice from the side of one of my fingers :cussing:
Whilst this is a rather silly thing to do I doubt it'll be the first or last time that I or someone else does it.
The only trouble is that bandaging up a finger is rather hard work when you don't have full use of it. Having only recently bought and upgraded a first aid kit I knew where everything was at least but there is one big thing that I now know would make the difference between bandaging being routine or a real trial - a pair of good scissors!
Any further ideas to make this sort of situation an easier one to deal with as it is probably one of the most common ways of hurting yourself when using a knife?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
sam_acw said:
I was just getting used to the opening and closing of a new SAK today when I managed to remove a neat slice from the side of one of my fingers :cussing:
Whilst this is a rather silly thing to do I doubt it'll be the first or last time that I or someone else does it.
The only trouble is that bandaging up a finger is rather hard work when you don't have full use of it. Having only recently bought and upgraded a first aid kit I knew where everything was at least but there is one big thing that I now know would make the difference between bandaging being routine or a real trial - a pair of good scissors!
Any further ideas to make this sort of situation an easier one to deal with as it is probably one of the most common ways of hurting yourself when using a knife?

My solution would be to keep some “finger bobs” in the zip pocket of my first aid kit, finger bobs are pre rolled finger bandage is just like tubegauze but without the need to have an applicator. You can buy them in packs of six (they don’t cost much) or you can by tubigauze and pre load a plastic applicator and keep that handy (it’s a bit bulky) but that works too. Either way you can prepare dressings to go underneath either one. I've found that I am able to do this all one-handed (don’t ask me how I know :rolleyes: )

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
sounds a bit nasty! :eek:

on my diploma course i asked the instructors what was in thier personal 1st aid kits, it turned out some went lightweight one experienced instructor said:

bandages, antiseptic wipes and medical tape(that's it!) the reason being anything more serious you'd probably need professional assistance anyway!

i was also told to take "tank tape"(duck tape) as it can be torn sideways into lengths easily, no scissors needed!

BOD

A problem indeed but hopefully not too common.

If you have time you can usually apply you FAK contents onto wounds one -handed unless you have lost your composure by the sight of all your own blood :)

If you don't have time e.g. chopped off your hand, then a short length of 3mm braided line can be tied (quite easily with practice) as a clove hitch above the wound as a temporary tourniquet while you fumble with getting a bandage or military field dressing out and in place using wraps and tucks. You will not have the composure to tie a reef knot one handed, Slip a clove hitch over the dressing pad and tighten with remaining hand and teeth to keep up the pressure.

If you can tie a bowline, clove hitch and simple half hitches one-handed you can improvise quite well as long as you have string and cloth

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have an already opened pack of gauze in my FAK, placed so that it's the first thing that comes to hand. That gives me something to stop (or at least control) the bleeding while I get the necessary supplies out.

I also carry a tape climbers know as "finger tape" - it's a fabric tape designed to provide support to damaged tendons, but I find it's great for taping up cut fingers - it tears neatly and sticks well, but it's thin enough not to be too awkward.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Super glue can be used one handed.

Incidentally, has anyone tried that spray on plaster that's being advertised on the TV...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I use germoline new skin which is simular,
it can only effectively be used if the wound is dry and you are dry!
if you sweat too much it will turn white loosen and come off!
(it'll only take minutes)

probably a better thing to use during spring and autumn.

otherwise whenit does work it works well you can wash with it on and after a while you don't notice it! unlike plasters that get all gunky.

be warned the stuff i use stings like ****! :eek: untill it gets absorbed or whatever it does, then no pain at all!

it's best used on stuff like small cuts grases that would otherwise allow dirt in!
also it's good on cuts etc on joints and all hand/finger joints, it does stretch! :D

large cuts and open wounds like the ones suggested :eek: head straight for a bandage and tape! the new skin is for much later, it would either not be effective or would sting far far too much!

same as most things there's a good and bad side!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Yeah, there was too much blood for newskin!
I ended up putting a absorbent dressing on the cut with a bit of bandage over it and then used surgical tape to hold it all together.
Now I've just got to wait until it is all holding itself in on peice before I change the bandage as the cut was quite ragged, more like taking a slice of bark off something than cutting in.
The tape is good as you can tear it easily but it won't strech or loosen easily. I'm now looking for a good pair of small scissors for bandage etc. as they are much easier to use 1 handed than other cutting tools. Is there anything absorbent which packs small and is safe to use on open cuts (i.e. not cotton wool)?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sterile gauze is probably your best bet. Although I've heard tampons recommended... ;)

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
I find that packs of sterile gauze are easy to open with one hand and teeth or even just pin it down with another part of the body, say kneel on it and then tear open with one hand. Likewise melonin non-adherent dressings

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I just don't learn do I. I've put a nice long cut in the heel of my hand whilst using an axe (not sure quite how - something slipped)
The expanded first aid kit and scissors made it all nice and easy to deal with :)
I've still got the scar from August but this one was a nice clean straight cut so it should heal up pretty quickly.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
dried yarrow :)

not had too use it myself, but its supposed to be great. dries in the wound to form a scab.

come to think of it i must be due some claret, (maybe i had my fair share as a fabricator years ago though)

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Quik fix Bandana and pressure and elevate the limb.Then when the blood stops flowing use your FAK supplies to clean up and sterilize.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The military now issues tourniquets that can be operated with one hand - I guess just in case your other one is missing!

I'm guessing you will be in serious trouble if you have to use a tourniquet and you can do more harm than good with them.

But, perhaps the principle is good: should we practice bandaging one hand with the other? It's all very well if it's someone elses hand but not if it's your own.

How do we stop serious bleeding through direct/indirect pressure but also open a first aid kit, unpack a dressing, etc, with only one hand? Perhaps a small improvised tourniquet might not be such a bad idea after all...

Sorry - that's all a bit 'stream of consciousness'.

Any thoughts?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Elevation is meant to slow blood flow to some degree. You can also apply some pressure by pushing your leg or chest against a wound although it isn't as effective.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Get your thinking caps on guys. I reckon there's a forune to be made by the person who can invent a practical wrapper for a simple sticking plaster that opens easily and efficiently with one hand (and no use of the teeth etc).
This has been on my mind on-and-off for years, but I still can't figure out a sensible way to design it.

I reckon that design brief needs to be something like... "A sterile wrapper that can be efficiently opened with the use of ONE hand ONLY, by someone under duress and in shock."
Practice opening them after a few "sherbets" with both the left and the right hand. If you can do that I reckon they're well designed ;)

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
dommyracer said:
Incidentally, has anyone tried that spray on plaster that's being advertised on the TV...

tried several versions.... not so good on active bleeding.... good for ragged 'keep catching the flipping thing' wounds..... stings like an absolute swine (I'm not kidding!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE