One For The TEOTWAWKI Set.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I'm partial to a bit of tin - they're going to clone Ross Kemp by the millions to force feed us all generically modified high-fructose corn syrup.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I cannot see anyone buying Xe very soon with all the bad publicity baggage they carry, particularly not Monsanto. I think Monsanto were customers of Xe's intelligence and security divisions one time but many other companies provide these services as well. They say Xe would be most attractive to a private equity company but the attention it would bring may not be worth it. More than likely it will be broken up and each division will be sold off separately.
Happy trails...torc.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Most of my conspiracy theory friends are too ignorant about anything to listen to.

The government know nothing about food production.

and the soil association are not to be trusted.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
Last edited:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Now then, whilst we talk about seeds, did anyone spot that Monsanto just purchased Xe Services (previously "Blackwater") according to a variety of internet news services. Not sure how true it is, nor am I one for tinfoil hat theories. But the Monsanto owning the worlds largest private army does send a shiver up my spine.

Red

Apparently not true. I certainly can't find it in any reliable news source.

Of course, that's exactly what They want you to believe... ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hence why I used the phrase "according to a variety of internet news sources" Dunc.

So we have a few (non mainstream) sources saying they did, and one (non mainstream source) saying they didn't. They seem to concur that an agricultural company appears to feel the need to spend six figure sums with a spying and strong arm company.

Either way, the worlds scummiest biotech doing business with the worlds largest force of mercenaries, industrial spies and "privaye security consultants" is worrying (to me). The fact that these people feel the need to do "probably nasty and illegal stuff" (the words in the article you quote) still sends shivers!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh yeah, no disagreement there! I'm not exactly a fan of either... :) Mind you, if you needed this to realise that multi-national corporations get up to lots of "probably nasty and illegal stuff", then you haven't been paying enough attention. ;)

Nov 20, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I'm not sure they need an army of their own, the wikipedia entry for Paul Bremer's order 81 would suggest that they can simply use the US Army to achieve their goals. :(

Can I be forgiven for thinking this might have something to do with Order 66? ;)

As someone who's been following the whole "US survivalist/anti-gubmint militia nut" thing for a while, folks have been trying to profit from those fears for a long time, especially with these "storable seeds." Think I'd rather go the Mormon way with storing up the real food, tho have some seeds (not the fancy tinned ones tho) as a long-term backup. We used to grow some veggies when I was growing up, haven't done it in a while but keep meaning to. Since I live along the Texas Gulf Coast, having some basic preparations for hurricane season is always a good idea, and as I've seen those can come in handy other times of the year! (In '97 we had an ice storm that knocked out electricity for most of a week, as the freezing rain broke a LOT of tree limbs overhanging the power lines. It was like winter camping, but in my own bed.)

Matt in Tx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE