One for the mountain bikers.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I haven’t used my bike in over 5 years and all that time it has sat in a cold damp garage so what do I need to do to get it roadworthy again. I have given it a clean with Mucoff bike cleaner so it should be totally de greased and clean.

I guess the shimano brake blocks will need replacing to stop them squealing but what else is advised?
smoker003.jpg

smoker004.jpg

On another note just got my car tax reminder £215 for 12months I wouldn’t mind if they actually fixed the roads around Southampton to make it any value for money.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
As you mention brake blocks, i'd check the tyres to see if they've perished too.

Then i'd be checking / re-greasing the bearings, headstock, bottom bracket, and wheel bearings. Clean and lube the chain, and check for smooth operation in all the cables (clean lube or replace if necessary)

Other than that, go for a short ride and visually check all moving parts to check if anything needs doing.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As a matter of course, I'd replace the tubes and the tyres, (with Armadillo tyres there is no need for Slime)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
You might not have to replace the brake blocks if they are not too worn yet. You should be able to stop the squealing by toeing in the blocks (ie set them at a slight angle to the wheel rim, not dead flat against it).

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Had a very short ride to and from my garage and the handlebars seem too low and narrow can you fit bigger higher bars to it if you have grip shift gears?

Must admit it's been years since I rode a bike without an engine so it may take some getting used to again.

beerngrills70

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
Newcastle upon tyne
Had a very short ride to and from my garage and the handlebars seem too low and narrow can you fit bigger higher bars to it if you have grip shift gears?

Must admit it's been years since I rode a bike without an engine so it may take some getting used to again.

Im sure you can buy a stem that adjusts the ride height so your sat taller in the saddle. It has a pivot at the neck..but ive not been in to bikes for years as well Grendel ..

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington

You need a high rise stem http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mountain-Bike...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f09b8e4e2

And a set of wider handlebars http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retro-X-Lite-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f09ad1d0b
Best to measure yours and then make sure the ones you are buying are wider, you can always cut them down. RE fitting the grip shift as long as the diameter of the bars are the same then they'll fit

EDIT, just thinking you could buy a setof handle bars wider with a rise in them so two birds with one stone...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yup, brakes and tyres.
If you've got a bit of money to spend then some suspension forks would be a good idea, especially if going off road.
I ride a Muddyfox Nemesis and frequently combine my mountain biking and bushcrafting.
In fact, if you click on my blog you will find a piece I wrote about mountain biking and bushcrafting together.
Get out there and enjoy it, I say!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just gave the bike a once over with motorcycle lube on the chain and filed off the shiny bits of break pad to give me soft rubber again but managed to break the spring retainer clip on the Shimano Altus SLR cantilever breaks (at least that’s what’s written n them). So I presume that now means my front breaks are FUBAR?

Front tyres is torn so thats goining to be a new one.

I’ll defiantly put a bid in for the bar riser since I may get used to the bars it they were higher. How much are they new before i start bidding too high.

Last edited:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Yup, brakes and tyres.
If you've got a bit of money to spend then some suspension forks would be a good idea, especially if going off road.
I ride a Muddyfox Nemesis and frequently combine my mountain biking and bushcrafting.
In fact, if you click on my blog you will find a piece I wrote about mountain biking and bushcrafting together.
Get out there and enjoy it, I say!

Do you know anything about pneumatic suspension forks by any chance? (not wanting to hijack the thread) I have a pair of Marzocchi Bomber forks and I have to pump them up every few days. Is there a way of repairing them so that they keep pumped up for longer? Do I need to take them in to a bike shop to get them repaired or is it something I can do at home?

beerngrills70

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
Newcastle upon tyne
Do you know anything about pneumatic suspension forks by any chance? (not wanting to hijack the thread) I have a pair of Marzocchi Bomber forks and I have to pump them up every few days. Is there a way of repairing them so that they keep pumped up for longer? Do I need to take them in to a bike shop to get them repaired or is it something I can do at home?

You can buy the new seals and fit them yourself . Here's a guide to help

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id3.html

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington

Unless you mechanically competent I'd take them to a cycle shop, there can be a multitude of problems with air forks

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Reading about the Shimano Altus SLR cantilever brakes apparently once the plastic spring holder thing breaks they are fubar so looks like I’m going to need new front cantilever brakes. Do I have to fit the same or will any type work?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
You can buy the new seals and fit them yourself . Here's a guide to help

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id3.html

Unless you mechanically competent I'd take them to a cycle shop, there can be a multitude of problems with air forks

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll take them to a shop and get a quote. If the price is too high then I think I'm reasonably mechanically minded enough to do the job myself. I do have the manual but it's about as clear as mud and covers several types of fork in the same document which makes it a bit confusing.

I'll trawl some bike websites and see if I can find any tips first. Thanks again.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Reading about the Shimano Altus SLR cantilever brakes apparently once the plastic spring holder thing breaks they are fubar so looks like I’m going to need new front cantilever brakes. Do I have to fit the same or will any type work?

Get yourself a set of V-brakes. They will fit on the same stubs as regular cantilever brakes and are more efficient (because the levers are longer so get more...er...leverage). I think you can get a cheap set from Wilkinsons - no point in spending too much money. You can get new tyres and inner tubes there as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE