On the Rocks...

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So I decided to give my Puuko a little attention today. Got me to thinking about peoples sharpening kit....

I use an Arkansas Tri-stone with WD40 for the lubricant, a Spyderco 'Sharpmaker' purely for setting the burr and getting a nice durable edge and my belt as a strop. I also have a DC3 for out and about. Doesn't look very glamorous but certainly does the job.

DSC_0699.jpg

So what do you guys use?

Cheers
Kit

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Can't say I've ever used wet and dry to sharpen anything. I've read the article on here about using the stuff, does it not just rip and tear pretty quickly?
Still if it works it definately saves you some cash...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What don't i use :rolleyes: I have and use, waterstones, oilstones, hone steel, wet and dry over foam for convex, a tormek grinder, belt grinder, oh and a sharpening steel in the kitchen.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
What don't i use :rolleyes: I have and use, waterstones, oilstones, hone steel, wet and dry over foam for convex, a tormek grinder, belt grinder, oh and a sharpening steel in the kitchen.

Wow, thats quite a collection! :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a set of King stones for home 800,1200 and 6000 and Longstrider strop.
My camp kit is DMT diafolds in Black,Blue,red,green And strop from Luckylee
My sharpener for the lightweight kit is a Spyderco Doublestuff and strop is the leather pouch loaded with paste.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have waterstones in almost every grit, cheap diamond bench stones and all manner of other sharpening gear but lately I have been using my 600 grit DMT/DC3 stone hybrid. I still struggle to get hair shaving sharp sometimes without a strop but overall not bad results without.

002-19.jpg

Steve.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I use a dc4 most of the time, unless I have nothing important to do, then I'll do the effort and get me waterstones soaking. Also always strop on a leather belt. I do sometimes have trouble though, my sfa I can get shaving sharp, then I can spend hours on my mora and it is as blunt as it was before:(

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have waterstones in almost every grit, cheap diamond bench stones and all manner of other sharpening gear but lately I have been using my 600 grit DMT/DC3 stone hybrid. I still struggle to get hair shaving sharp sometimes without a strop but overall not bad results without.

002-19.jpg

Steve.

That's a good idea Steve, like a mini tri-stone, is the silver bit the original course side of the DC3?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE