Olympus Tough series cameras?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Im considering buying one of these waterproof,freeze proof,crush proof etc cams but ive heard mixed reviews,has anyone here had any experiences with them???

I've got an 850 SW which I carry every where.

Had it a month and am very pleased with it. I'm not after "presentation grade" photographs so I run it at 5 megapixels and leave the video bit at low quality. Battery lasts a good time (if you switch the flash off). Used it in rain and sleet and have dropped it once :eek: , no problem.

You will need a memory card as the on board memory is minimal.

It's my first camera without a viewfinder and I found that a bit awkward at first.

The download to computer is fast and easy.

I like it.:)

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
I've got an 850 SW which I carry every where.

Had it a month and am very pleased with it. I'm not after "presentation grade" photographs so I run it at 5 megapixels and leave the video bit at low quality. Battery lasts a good time (if you switch the flash off). Used it in rain and sleet and have dropped it once :eek: , no problem.

You will need a memory card as the on board memory is minimal.

It's my first camera without a viewfinder and I found that a bit awkward at first.

The download to computer is fast and easy.

I like it.:)

Im just looking for a little cam that can withstand my trips,ive gone through quite a few compacts over the years and would just like one that can give good image results for posting online of trips etc and can take a beating at the same time.

Im looking at the new 6000 and 8000 series

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My wife just bough an 8000 in the tough series. Seems fairly good and very very tough. Its "screen only" (no viewfinder), limited manual control and not a huge optical zoom. It is howsever one of the toughest cameras I have seen, genuinely shirt pocket sized and can even take under water photos.

The only downside for "trips" is that it uses re-chargeable batteries. However BB got a deal on hers with a case and spare battery which is a very useful add on

HTH

Red

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've an 850 SW and use it all the time, canoeing, skiing underwater fish photos and general snapshots. Looks like these are being replaced by the ones you're looking at. The 850 and 1050 are pretty good (for a compact camera) so I imagine the new ones will be good too. Most of my photos here and on SotP are using my 850 and if the light is right you can get some goodies! Got a cool panorama feature too

3344104340_f9a1d7a4e8.jpg

As the guys say, mem card and spare battery are a must. I also got a neck lanyard so it hangs round my neck and I tuck it into a top pocket as it doesn't float!

Cheers,

Alan

Apr 7, 2009
i had a 830 and now i have a 1030sw olympus camera they are truly robust and worth every penny my 830 ended up at the bottom of a pond and after looking for more than an hour i gave up. someone caught the cord on my neck and snapped it. but other than that am happy with it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a Olympus u770SW, I'm very happy with it, it has had quite a few knocks and is still going strong after more than a year of rough use. The battery life is excellent.

You will find a review here.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Yeah, these waterbuoy thingys. They'd do the job fine but would add to the bulk and I'd probably activate it first time I had it out! The lanyard's just to keep it safe when actually using it as it lives in a secured pocket when not in use.

Cheers,

Alan

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Its far better to have the camera flood 3 months into your warranty than look after it carefully and then have it go bung 3 months over the expiry date.

Good advice :You_Rock_

Additionally if there is a chance of your camera being lost overboard or similar, the first photo on each of your memory cards should be of a piece of paper with your email address on it. That way you will stand a better chance of getting your photos back.

:D

Apr 7, 2009
Good advice :You_Rock_

Additionally if there is a chance of your camera being lost overboard or similar, the first photo on each of your memory cards should be of a piece of paper with your email address on it. That way you will stand a better chance of getting your photos back.

:D

good advice if its not 3ft in mud at the bottom of a pond with a brand new battery in and a 2gb mem card with about 2 pics on lol

but on the plus side i got a better one when i replaced it and it wont be going near water unless i have it in my hand.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...good advice if its not 3ft in mud at the bottom of a pond with a brand new battery in and a 2gb mem card with about 2 pics on...

True :D although memory cards are tough, someone may dig it out of the pond years from now and recover your photographs :rolleyes:

If you are on a trip where the theft of your camera is possible add a '$' a figure and a sketch of the memory card to the sheet with your email address, you never know someone may 'find' your memory card and offer to return it for the reward.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE