Olight S1R Baton II Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Olight got in touch and asked me to review their best seller, I have a feeling they have never watched my vids before. Of course I said yes to testing a bit of kit that I would never buy due to it's £54 price tag. Has some great features and some failings.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Class :lmao:

Worth noting Olightstore are selling them at £38.49 on a promotion. I think I paid about that for mine, I’d definitely not go above £45 for one. I use a torch most days for something or other and often end up with it clamped in my teeth, the electricity is detectable, but no way any sort of jolt. Sticking the torch on clean steel would cause problems if there was a full on short occurring.

Re the magnet, I’d never really thought about it with my Seiko 5 kinetic and torch on the side table in bed, but the watch has recently started to run a bit fast. An iPhone app designed to pick up magnetism shows the watch to be magnetised and needing degaussing. Most larger jewellers will have a deguasser and shouldn’t charge for the simple process of passing the watch through the field, but it’s an unnecessary hassle. Still, there are magnets all over the place. The brass button compass on my car keys continually failed to work until someone asked if I had an immobiliser fitted. I had no idea immobilisers have magnets in them.

At the promotion price, I reckon it’s a goodun, but over £40 is likely to put the average user off getting one.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bloody pocket clips is what loses me my torches, and knives. They get hooked out by clothing, bramble, bracken etc. I found a knife clipped to my car seat belt once. I just drop the torch into a pocket and let it rattle around with my keys etc.

I’m a fan of the Firefly tritium isotope kit markers, handy in the night for finding torches. Them and a tag of reflective paracord, you’d be hard pushed to lose the thing permanently. That’s not to say I haven’t lost two expensive Zebralights in the past few years, one of which was left on moonlight mode. Hammock ridgelines make a handy hook, but if you pack up in the morning a tad hungover and it’s raining...:empty:

Reactions: nobby8126

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great vid and thanks for keeping the language down, there's too many vids we have to boot because of language and content etc.

I liked the torch and I agree with you, on the one hand I think it's probably worth it's asking price if you use it well over a number of years, if it's likely to get lost it's way too much money.
I actually like the magnetic end charging, although that's a good point made about putting it with your compass! I think the older model you could use wire wool with it to start a fire, this one doesn't do it.
At the discounted price though it's tempting, works out at £38.50 with the 30% off, shame it's only today.

Anyone that missed the offer in the vid HERE it is.

olight flash sale.jpg

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Great vid and thanks for keeping the language down, there's too many vids we have to boot because of language and content etc.

I liked the torch and I agree with you, on the one hand I think it's probably worth it's asking price if you use it well over a number of years, if it's likely to get lost it's way too much money.
I actually like the magnetic end charging, although that's a good point made about putting it with your compass! I think the older model you could use wire wool with it to start a fire, this one doesn't do it.
At the discounted price though it's tempting, works out at £38.50 with the 30% off, shame it's only today.

Anyone that missed the offer in the vid HERE it is.

View attachment 52896
It's hard Tony I swear like a fish wife

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Enjoyable & comprehensive review thank you :)

I am impressed with it - tell Olight it may have led to at least one purchase. Who knows they may send you more stuff...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I tried to order one yesterday, to take advantage of the discount but couldn't. So, I have had to part with the full price today - a bit of a pain, but not a complete deal breaker. When you consider the kind of prices you can pay for some Surefire torches, this little Olight number seems to be pretty good. It'll be a great addition to my 'top pocket' kit in my rucksack.

Thank you for the review.

Reactions: nobby8126

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pricey but very good, don't like the charging cable

Why’s that Pete? I reckon Olight have really stepped it up when it comes to charging. They were certainly one of the first to use a proprietary battery with a mini USB port, and definitely the first to offer the magnetic USB portable charger (I think).

Initially I thought tying the brand to an own brand battery was annoying, but it’s to do with taking Li-ion battery safety on board and supplying a safe option with enhanced performance. The dual contact USB charger they sell is also brilliant in that it reads anything from a 1.3v NiMH like an Eneloop, up to any 3.7v Li-Ion and shuts down when charged. These high performance 550 lumen type lights draw from the little RCR123A batteries quite heavily, and Olight only trust theirs to perform at these levels.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE