Old 'Warm & Comfy'

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Something simple but yummy (occasionally ;))

Recipe for an 'Old Warm and Comfy'

Makes 4 after dinner size drinks. Double up the ingredients for double the size glasses/guests

100gms caster sugar
100ml water

100ml whisky/whiskey or brandy (rum might be worth a shot, if you'll pardon the pun!)
Some double cream no idea how much... as much as you want I suppose.

First, dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for a couple of minutes or so (when cool this should have a slightly syrupy consistency but not thick and gloopy like syrup)

This has now provided you with a stock sugar syrup which I believe can be used for all sorts of culinary purposes and for preserving fruit. The syrup will keep indefinitely if kept sealed. I tend to make it by the litre (just 10 x the amounts) and it gets used for my alcoholic experiments!

That's the hardest part done!

When you want to make your 'Comfy' mix 100ml of your chosen alcohol with 100ml of syrup. Heat on a med heat until hot to taste (but do not boil or you will lose your alcohol!)(most of you will know that I'm sure) ;)

When ready, pour a lttle boiling water into a suitable recepticle and pop in a teaspoon.

Get your glasses ready for the Comfies; pour in the mixture and then drizzle the cream onto the top gently via the back of the heated teaspoon.

Depending on what you present them in, you can provide a lovely companion drink to a coffee instead of a traditional liqueur or perhaps instead of an Irish/liqueur coffee. I have a set of old port glasses that work well for this amount of grog.

A cinnamon stick or sachet of mulled wine spices can be added when heating the alcohol if a little added spice is required

Please note, they are very sweet and quite sickly, however, just to have one every now and again is a pleasant change. Some may also have a sweet tooth and enjoy this more often. One last comment, if any of you enjoy a cigar or pipe after a meal...then perhaps you would be better off with something else. The mix did not work well for me!

Cheers
Sack

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Ed

I actually use the sugar syrup instead of hot water for my Hot Buttered Rum (but use dark muscavado sugar instead of white cane caster). I find the 'standard' recipe for HBR to be a little insipid so I use the syrup; this also helps to emulsify the butter.

Good call on the HBR...that will be on the cards once it starts to get cold...still between 13 - 17 degrees down here at the moment...can't get 'winterised' ;)

Cheers
Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE