Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oh that's great! I'm glad you've been able to get somewhere with it all; you must keep us up to date with this and let us see what you do with it when the time comes :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Got a new door-stop for my birthday.
attachment.php
:)

Attachments

• 2015-06-05 18.48.23.jpg
    2015-06-05 18.48.23.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 141

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Very lucky indeed!
It's a 1954, 201K and it came in a treadle table complete with leather belt in good order. Also has newish electric motor fitted with up-to-date wiring in apparent good order.
Threaded it up, plugged it in and off it went.
It will be getting a good clean and oil over the weekend.
I'm as pleased as Punch; five and twenty quid well spent. :)

Last edited:

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Oh that's great! I'm glad you've been able to get somewhere with it all; you must keep us up to date with this and let us see what you do with it when the time comes :)

Thanks.
I've got the spare parts list and instructions for it now. Or at least the instructions for the upper part of the machine.
I also got on touch with a shoe maker that has one of these in service (a 1910 model). I am planning to visit his shop to see how it works, and get some input on the technical part.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ok. So wifey bought this for me.
uploadfromtaptalk1434480958105.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434480983311.jpg

It's a 1936 model 15-91. Not a runner unfortunately, and apparently it's my new hobby!

Not sure where to start really.

Z

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Did you get a user handbook with it? If so, start making some simple stuff sacks or anything like that; you'll be surprised, pleasantly, by how quickly you get the hang of it. If not, have a search and get the book for it and then do the above.

For what reason is the machine not running? Is it electrical or mechanical? These are very similar in many ways to the 201k and there's not much to go wrong and there's plenty of help available, both here and on the web.

If my eyes don't deceive me that's what's known as a potted motor version, the deluxe super gt end of the range; a cracking machine that'll serve you well :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
For what reason is the machine not running? Is it electrical or mechanical?

Mechanically it all seems to move although clogged with old grease and oil. Electrically it needs a complete rewire. I would be happier if it was earthed properly too.

I've found a manual and adjusters guide online already.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't turn into a money pit!

Z

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
personally mac i reckon we should give zingmo some stick for not running around naked in public and spanking himself with glee at the fact that his wife has bought him a superb sewing machine that hopefully the miserable git will grow to love! hahahaha!

an old toothbrush with some warm water, soft cloth and a bottle of singer oil will see her right cosmetically.

i totally rewired one of my 201 potted motors....thread here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127454&highlight=

until then i had ZERO knowlege and NO tools....i flapped a bit, spent a bit, emerged victorious which was so amazingly satisfying i nearly married macaroon, had an affair with twodogs then eloped with bilmo as a result. and since that day, even though i own 17 201's, i still mainly use the one i fixed the most and it goes like the clappers gliding on a bed of silk.

get some better detailed pics up so we can all ooh and ahhh at the mess youre in and have a good chuckle lol

e-z!

s

Mechanically it all seems to move although clogged with old grease and oil. Electrically it needs a complete rewire. I would be happier if it was earthed properly too.

I've found a manual and adjusters guide online already.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't turn into a money pit!

Z

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
personally mac i reckon we should give zingmo some stick for not running around naked in public and spanking himself with glee at the fact that his wife has bought him a superb sewing machine that hopefully the miserable git will grow to love! hahahaha!

an old toothbrush with some warm water, soft cloth and a bottle of singer oil will see her right cosmetically.

i totally rewired one of my 201 potted motors....thread here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127454&highlight=

until then i had ZERO knowlege and NO tools....i flapped a bit, spent a bit, emerged victorious which was so amazingly satisfying i nearly married macaroon, had an affair with twodogs then eloped with bilmo as a result. and since that day, even though i own 17 201's, i still mainly use the one i fixed the most and it goes like the clappers gliding on a bed of silk.

get some better detailed pics up so we can all ooh and ahhh at the mess youre in and have a good chuckle lol

e-z!

s

There you go, definitive answer from "the 201 man" himself! Itg won't turn into a money pit, basic tools and elbow grease is what you need. When you re-wire the machine DON'T earth it; just wire it properly and they're as safe as houses, nothing live comes anywhere near the casing, the same sort of principle as things that are sold with the double square safety logo these days (double insulated). that's why they still pass on a P.A.T. test.

Have you run around naked and spanked yourself with glee as advised above? The machines feel much smoother afterwards!!! :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
personally mac i reckon we should give zingmo some stick for not running around naked in public and spanking himself with glee at the fact that his wife has bought him a superb sewing machine ...

There is no way that is going to happen! It's been a long time since anyone saw me running!

Do these old Singers breed? Now this has turned up.uploadfromtaptalk1434997320121.jpg

It's a 1956 hand cranked 99K. Not to keep, but to play with while I get the 15-91 running. It (or should I say "she"?) is absolutely mint. The original receipt is in the box: £35 14s it cost.

I have made some progress with the electric one. I'll post some photos later.

Z

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those 99k's are a very good machine, but when you change over to your 15-91 it'll be like getting out of a Morris Minor and into a Riley 1.5 !!!!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Here's some detail for the 15-91.
uploadfromtaptalk1435007699288.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435007742131.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435007772800.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435007793543.jpg

Everything tells me that this machine has led a tough life.
The motor sprang into life after cleaning up the commutator and the brushes.
uploadfromtaptalk1435007948283.jpg

I have had to source a plug on ebay.
uploadfromtaptalk1435008001796.jpg

And I have a question. The controller is likely to be the original from Canada and is marked thus:
uploadfromtaptalk1435008142834.jpg
Yet the motor has been converted somehow:
uploadfromtaptalk1435008213035.jpg
I am just wondering if the controller is ok to use on UK mains.

I will earth it as I am not convinced that it is safe without one. But as it is mounted in the table, I can add an isolation switch underneath and just run the earth from the switch to the machine chassis.

Z

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you start messing with earthing this machine, you better make sure you know what you're doing and create a continuous and complete earth circuit to include all components and metal parts. You don't need to do this and are more likely to make matters worse. You can be convinced of anything you like, but I'm telling you the facts as a long term fully qualified test & inspection electrician as well as long time user of these machines.

You need to ascertain whether the controller has been converted to run on 240 volts, one would assume so, but we all know what assumptions lead to :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo....right....first of all....TRUST ME.....or rather....TRUST MAC!!!!!!.....when he says the machine does NOT need earthing. its true....they dont. fact, end of. i drove mac mad fussing about this very same thing and in the end he reeled off a load of websites AND all of his electrical qualifications in a frustrated effort to shut me up and convince me....and he succeeded....because its true....no earth needed.....:

http://oldsingersewingmachineblog.com/?s=earth

''s far as I can see, this is the only way you can earth (or more accurately “earth”) a classic vintage Singer electric and retain the original motor plug and socket. Quite why anybody would want to embark on this task in the first place is way beyond my understanding, but if I wore a hat, I’d certainly take it off to whoever had the patience and the determination to complete it.''

''
Before we go any further, though, let me say yet again that there is no earth (ground) connection on these machines. Yes it’s a three-pin plug and socket but no, one of them is not an earth connection. There is no easy way of properly earthing a pre-1960’s domestic Singer, and in my opinion no earthly need to (hah!) as long as your consumer unit has an effective RCD. If baffled by last bit, see here''

ok....as for the wear on that bobbin winding mechanism....you should be able to pick up a nicer one on ebay sooner or later nice n cheap...i've got loads of 201 versions here in my spares box and i paid an average of a fiver for each...

as well as water, cloth, toothbrush.....use neat alcohol to clean up all the inside metalwork behind the decorative plate....do not use alcohol on the outside of the machine as it will strip the lacquer. if you attempt to strip it all out like i do you may need a bit of patience....and every so often youll get a screw that undoes/tightens the opposite way from normal and you may well have to modify or even create a few new tools for yourself to use as drifts to get bits out etc....i've a box full of bits of stainlesss rod and bar of various lengths and thicknesses that help me when taking a 201 apart...

(hope its ok for me to put my blog up in this case...its a fairly neglected blog recently due to commitments but i've covered a bit of this stuff on there....):

http://beneaththestarsleatherwork.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/removing-tricky-bits-from-201.html
http://beneaththestarsleatherwork.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/cleaning-201-3-mark-i.html

as for the controller/canada thing....i'll let mac answer that one as i'm no expert....

s

lololol.....see, speak of the devil.....he just has.....and by the way zingmo....you do know ITS ALL MACS FAULT yeah? lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE