Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
OK ta. How does the commutator come off? It's obviously attached to the wheel gearing but not sure how to get it out. Dunno what or where the feed tubes are either. This is all new to me. Is there an exploded view diagram to be downloaded somewhere that shows how it all goes together? Cheers

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
OK ta. How does the commutator come off? It's obviously attached to the wheel gearing but not sure how to get it out. Dunno what or where the feed tubes are either. This is all new to me. Is there an exploded view diagram to be downloaded somewhere that shows how it all goes together? Cheers

Have a look around on the site ozzy links to, there's a whole how - to there with all the pictures you need to do all of it very easily; it's actually very simple to do :)

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Brilliant thanks, will have a good look at those vids before I go any further. One more question. Mains cable has been replaced at some time but it's only 2 core so there's no earth connection. Taking a guess I would have expected the middle pin on the machine to carry the earth to the body of it. A multimeter across the machine body and the three pins shows no continuity so the machine isn't earthed at the moment. Big lump of metal + mains electricity = shocking results. Surely it should be earthed?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
None of ours are, we have a 95, 201, 99 & 66 all externally mounted motors though

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
No mate, no earth on them; the motor is pretty well seperated from the machine and the isolation is good, so there's nothing to worry about. I've never had a problem nor heard of anybody else having one.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Righto thanks. Just briefly looked through the blog for rewiring. Absolutely brilliant. Need to work my way through it now instead of just winging it :rolleyes:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Yes indeed. I feel a little guilty at getting into this. It's just not rock n roll and feels a bit geeky but the engineer in me can't help wanting to fettle it. So after reading the links I have now been able to remove the motor and dismantle it. It's surprising that it worked when I tried it as the insulation is totally shot. Everything is covered in oil and grease. The previous owner was apparently a mechanic - I would say more of a grease monkey judging by how much oil there is on everything. The resulting mess in the motor housing is a mixture of black graphite dust and oil and it's horrible. I have it ingrained into my nails and fingers now so now I look like a grease monkey too. Next job to clean it all up and rewire.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
the wife done a count up last night, we have a 95-1 in a walnut cabinet, a 201, 66 & 99 all electric and a hand crank 99, a bit excessive really, but who cares :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
for anyone who wants to be totally blown away, check this out:

[video=youtube;wJBi1z_FohI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJBi1z_FohI[/video]

i'm embarrassed by my efforts so far and am going to be even more embarrassed by my finished result when its compared to his, but i had to share this with ya!

s

ps.....smojo...show us some pics please m8, would love to see your efforts!

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm sure you'll do yours justice, matey, with your attention to detail and obvious love of the things; just do what he says about taking it in bite-sized chunks :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
dude i'm not even going to remotely try to do what hes done....not even try....i'd need professional spray guns, a sterile enmvironment, years of professional restoration experience and so on....judging by the fact this guy uses loads of car products i'd say hes into classic cars or something...this guys forgotten more than i'll ever know and has probably been doing this stuff as long as i've been alive.

mines simply getting resprayed with an aerosol of enamel then the same in lacquer....i'm not going to dare doing that back-polishing thing he does for fear of going through and sanding off the decals....i'll quit when i'm ahead....

just the first stuff he uses, the turtle wax, is 30 quid a bottle....and so on.....theres no way i'll know if my lacquer is thick enough to do what hes done.

no way, not a chance, over my dead body, not gonna even try it. maybe when i've done a few more but not yet.

no way. no. thats a no.

lololol s
I'm sure you'll do yours justice, matey, with your attention to detail and obvious love of the things; just do what he says about taking it in bite-sized chunks :)

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
ps.....smojo...show us some pics please m8, would love to see your efforts!

I'll see if I can get this to work. Hopefully here's some quite blurry photos of the 201 motor stripped and part way through rewire. The field coil is waiting for some heatshrink to arrive to finish it.

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
looking good so far dude....you gonna try sanding the copper bits like in the thread?

Yeah, it's been worn down quite a bit in the middle where the brushes touches so it won't be a straight process. Probably cut thinner strips of emery paper and let it ride over the bumps and dips till it's reasonably shiny.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Motor rewire finished and re-installed and running sweet as a nut. Tried a test sewing and it worked fine. Just cleaning up the bobbin area and needle mechanisms. Feeling dead chuffed with it. I was watching some Youtube stuff about the 201k2 and he reckoned Rolls Royce used them for stitching the interior materials back in the 50s. Cool or what?

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I have had this Dürkopp (logo has worn off) for 20 years. It has spent way to much time tucked away, but after I put in in the living room it's back in business. The wood base shows that it has been used, but the mechanics are all good. Recently I gave it a good clean and proper oil, and it now sews like anything.

durkopp_sewing_machine.jpg

PS) Put some rubber feet underneath; no more ruining the nice table made by my girlfriends grandad.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE