Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Picked another 201 today this ones a 201K2 ,,

The wiring is shocking in more ways than one that will need changing ..

I am thinking of refurbishing the cab as its got all the gear fitted for knee operation

The number dates it to 1939

Big fan of the direct drive potted motor

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Can any one give me some tips on how to quieten down my Singer BZK motor, I have had it apart, greased the bearings, polished the commutator and cleaned up the brushes but it still sounds sparky at low speed and loud at high, nothing like it should. Would new brushes help?

Cheers

Chris

Why not just get a proper industrial machine and be done with it?

Seems as a lot of people on here are into sewing machines for sewing machines sake, rather than actual sewing. Which is fine off course. But if you actually are in to sewing, instead of messing about with tens of different iterations of 201ks, table mounted heirlooms or threadles, why not just get a decent industrial with a good motor and be done with it?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Why not just get a proper industrial machine and be done with it?

Seems as a lot of people on here are into sewing machines for sewing machines sake, rather than actual sewing. Which is fine off course. But if you actually are in to sewing, instead of messing about with tens of different iterations of 201ks, table mounted heirlooms or threadles, why not just get a decent industrial with a good motor and be done with it?

The cost of buying, for one thing; the ease of operation, cheap parts, readily available consumables? And on top of that the pleasure of owning and using one of the iconic pieces of twentieth century engineering?

Would they be reasons enough?................They are for me :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Because of the enjoyment of it.....

And you dont need an industrial one to do most jobs......

If this thread dont suit you Sweed.... jog on.. :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
you certainly have a right to be curious but it seems i'm not the only one to find the way youve put your curiosity across as fairly.....erm....whatever....

in answer to your question.....i dont want an industrial sewing machine really....because i hand stitch the items i make that would otherwise require an industrial machine. customers are not really bothered whether a possibles pouch is hand stitched or not at a tenner but they are bothered if a 100quid sheath is....

most of my customers dont want to buy things made by machine....they want them hand-made.....in every way decently possible.

in the same way they want a hand carved spoon rather than one from ikea....or a hand-made knife rather than a gerber.....and so on....

also....most of us lot get into our hobbies deeply....i for instance have learned TONS about these wonderful machines because of the very fact i own lots of them....i'm constantly comparing and finding differences....swapping parts.....learning.....i've 14 201's and theyre all different....not only in design (colour, balance wheel, cases, decorative plates etc) but each one has its own character and behaves differently.....strange but true. because of my collection i'm now in a very comfortable position regarding spare parts.....and knowlege.

why collect loads of different stamps.....why collect loads of different guns......why collect loads of different anything?.....because thats what collectors do when they fall in love with something they feel is important.

but then i wouldve thought this was all obvious to a bushcrafter?....and if it isnt then as the man said, jog on.

regards

s

So you mean I have no right to be curious?

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I only have one newly acquired treadle machine that was my mum's. Have no experience of sewing or sewing machines. But already am loving it. I won't want another as I have no room or need for one but I guess part of it is about engineering and an appreciation of that. I have an engineering background and can appreciate how old machines have quality and a cool vibe. It's about soul, man. Why do so many people love steam trains and pay good money to travel on one when they could get on a modern bus and get there faster and cheaper. You either get it or you don't. You can't teach it or convince anyone who has no soul. My big passion is guitars. Why do I own 20+ guitars when I can only play one at any time? Cos I love 'em and they're all different. Good enough reason. And as they say "if you know how many you've got - you haven't got enough"!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I only have one newly acquired treadle machine that was my mum's. Have no experience of sewing or sewing machines. But already am loving it. I won't want another as I have no room or need for one but I guess part of it is about engineering and an appreciation of that. I have an engineering background and can appreciate how old machines have quality and a cool vibe. It's about soul, man. Why do so many people love steam trains and pay good money to travel on one when they could get on a modern bus and get there faster and cheaper. You either get it or you don't. You can't teach it or convince anyone who has no soul. My big passion is guitars. Why do I own 20+ guitars when I can only play one at any time? Cos I love 'em and they're all different. Good enough reason. And as they say "if you know how many you've got - you haven't got enough"!

Very well put that man :)

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
There's some clothing chainstore in a few cities who have filled their windows from top to bottom with beautiful old sewing machines as some sort of window dressing. I reckon a few bushcrafters might consider a ram raid fruitful. Only joking!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
been there, done that....where d'ya think i got all mine from???:p

s

There's some clothing chainstore in a few cities who have filled their windows from top to bottom with beautiful old sewing machines as some sort of window dressing. I reckon a few bushcrafters might consider a ram raid fruitful. Only joking!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's cheap and nasty, lacking in imagination and class; worse thing is that the machine looks as if it was in very good nick...................Oh well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE