Old school woodwork benches ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Does anybody know of where i can get one of the old shool woodworking benches from ?

Like this,

Bench.jpg

Id be willing to travel if anyone has one ?

Cheers,

Paul

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Does anybody know of where i can get one of the old shool woodworking benches from ?

Like this,

Bench.jpg

Cheers,

Paul

Me and a mate got two of the tops, from an old school that closed down for the sum of fifteen quid each . Sorry but I'm not selling it.
Its got two vices on it but theres another two that were taken off it before I got it, they are easy to get hold of though.
DSC01634.jpg

DSC01635.jpg

At the moment I just put them on top of my joiners stools but as I got a load of hardwood from the school that was being demolished (I got a van full for a tenner) I should have enough to make the base out of it.

I'm sorry but I don't know of anywhere thats currently selling them off cheap though.
I reckon the ones we got for 15 quid each would have been something like half a grand each when new.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
If you'd said about this two weeks ago, I could have let you have one. We are clearing out some stuff from our arts and craft dept at work, and it went in the bin I think:(

Have just realised that I wasn't here two weeks ago :eek: so now I feel really stupid

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Ebay have them quite frequently, I was sniffing at this one and if your lucky you can get one for about a tenner. Pick up only though!

Cheers,

Alan

PS a mate moved this into his garage recently, works well

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Cheers for the replies fellas. Its the one in the pic im after. Ive looked at a few on Axeminster etc, but the new ones aint for me.

Cheers,

Paul

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There are still PFI/NFPT schools getting built up here. We were not allowed to keep or take to the new school, our 5 workshops worth of benches. We have lightwt new ones.

So you're not allowed to keep the really good solid school woodwork benches and have to buy new lightweight nasty ones instead.

Who exactly is responsible for making that genius decision and pocketing the backhander?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Basically the schools now arent at all interested in developing the skills needed to become a skilled tradesman. Plus of course the so called "liberal" health mafia will be twitchy about children using SHARP tools such as chisles or planes or saws......:rolleyes: What will they do on these marvellous lightweight new benches? Design humane mousetraps or something LOL
Keep scouring ebay launditch mate, they come up regularly, as do record or woden vices. I did build my own bench, cost me about £60? plus the cost of the hardware (bench screw) to build a giant post vice at one end-about £15 from axminster. 2 full days work, framed up from mortice and tennoned 4x4's with huge angled braces, oak pegs to peg it together came out the firewood pile, 6x4 front beam to chop mortices on, top made of scandinavian redwood 6x2's biscuited together. Its actualy sturdier than an emir school bench. I am confident I could lower a tractor onto it and the bench wouldnt even creak....:D

knighthawk

Oct 6, 2009
sheffield

Like this,

Bench.jpg

Cheers,

Paul
Hi Paul...not sure how old the post is but I have one the same as your pic I no longer use...PM me if still interested
Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE