Old School....Monitor Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well now, it all started from this post....

£30 can't go wrong, old 'new' stock, made in brum and work really well :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MONITOR-P...amping_CookingSupplies_ET?hash=item3a54b1102a

I was bored at work and needed a bit of retail therapy so I went for it

The box got me all excited - I'm a sucker for eary printing

4470144577_27012b2459_o.jpg

Opening the box was great....gleaming brass, original instructions, all parts still wrapped :)

4470144591_529028d325_o.jpg

4470144603_91c5a83868_o.jpg

Curiously, the instructions still worked 50 odd years after manufacture and it went together in seconds

4470144611_54e7059a09_o.jpg

Did it work? Oh yeah, fill the tank with paraffin (kerosene to our US friends), splash of meths to preheat, three pumps and it roared into life like a jet engine

4470144619_818161fd44_o.jpg

You can adjust the flame by lowering and raising the pressure and it works like a charm :cool:. I confess to owning a proper wicker picnic basket and I just must include this with it now for meadow lunches :D

I even like the old stamp...Is it a WD arrow? Looks like one to me

4470144617_50ecde96bc_o.jpg

All in all - a big thank you to Rik. It'll go well with my brass vapalux!!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I confess to owning a proper wicker picnic basket and I just must include this with it now for meadow lunches :D

Looks good Red. I'm sure you know this, but be careful how you transport it on your picnic. I made the mistake of transporting an Optimus No.5 with fuel still in the tank and now I have a pile of stuff that smells of paraffin. :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly does, and the spanner, no less than three prickers etc.

It seemed "fuel tight" with the blanking plug in place, but I guess its always chancy

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Where does the blanking plug fit? I didn't even know there was such a thing.

It should be at the top of the tank: remove the burner unit and pipe and screw the plug in. It's just a short screw I suppose so if you don't have the proper part just find the correct thread and fit the bolt to seal the outlet. Use a rubber O ring if you are concerned about leakage.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i brought one of these based on Riks recommendations, havent been to get any parrafin for it yet though, but i think i will now!!

Wilkinson's own brand BBQ lighter fluid is clear paraffin Ed as is the 'Flamefeast' brand in B&M.

Those monitor stoves are fantastic value for money and will outlive all of us here. Simple to use, very simple to maintain you can't go wrong.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Richard

Do you know if there is anyplace to by a spare pump seal etc. for the Monitor?

Nothing wrong with the fitted one, but its nice to have a backup!

Thanks again for the heads up

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Where does the blanking plug fit? I didn't even know there was such a thing.

If you look at the third picture down Martyn its in the thread where the burner screws in. Just a solid bolt with a washer to seal the fuel tank

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If you look at the third picture down Martyn its in the thread where the burner screws in. Just a solid bolt with a washer to seal the fuel tank

Gotcha. Should be able to find something. I use my Optimus as a "garden" stove, so dont have much need to transport, but I'll try and sort out a plug for the next time I feel the urge to take it to a mates BBQ. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Richard

Do you know if there is anyplace to by a spare pump seal etc. for the Monitor?

Nothing wrong with the fitted one, but its nice to have a backup!

Thanks again for the heads up

Red

This guy in Turkey is fantastic, his seals second to none and the price is right, can't recommend him highly enough, plus he posts fast and you won't be kept waiting. Give him my regards.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-PUMP-CUP-LE...ing_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item3efdf2d8d8

These will fit your stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE