Old School....Monitor Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd independently spotted these on eBay last week, but Mr Red's posting prompted me to get one - remarkable value, I'd say, for such a gorgeous bit of kit. It's drawn some interesting comments as it sits on my desk at work, but I will probably have to wait until the weekend to try it, so I can't say if it's fuel tight.

The burner must have been screwed in once, as the metal washer is a bit mangled, but the stove does come with two spare washers. The leather washer on the pump has a slight kink in it, but may well seal up once there is pressure in the stove. The brass is pretty shiny all round, though there is a small amount of corrosion /discolouring, but for something that's three years older than me, it looks in remarkably good condition.

I wonder if it's easy to make replacement leather seals for the pump? I must have a Google to see.

I'd love a pressure lantern something like the Vapalux M320 to go alongside this stove, but the price of these sort of lamps does seem rather high.

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheers Dunc - see what the boss says first! As for nearly having enough of my monitor - you aint far wrong!! Thoroughly envious of the new motor too :cool:

Geoff - I have an all brass 320 with a shade (as in Rik's avatar but shiny shiny). They look really good together!!

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd independently spotted these on eBay last week, but Mr Red's posting prompted me to get one - remarkable value, I'd say, for such a gorgeous bit of kit. It's drawn some interesting comments as it sits on my desk at work, but I will probably have to wait until the weekend to try it, so I can't say if it's fuel tight.

The burner must have been screwed in once, as the metal washer is a bit mangled, but the stove does come with two spare washers. The leather washer on the pump has a slight kink in it, but may well seal up once there is pressure in the stove. The brass is pretty shiny all round, though there is a small amount of corrosion /discolouring, but for something that's three years older than me, it looks in remarkably good condition.

I wonder if it's easy to make replacement leather seals for the pump? I must have a Google to see.

I'd love a pressure lantern something like the Vapalux M320 to go alongside this stove, but the price of these sort of lamps does seem rather high.

Geoff

Geoff, remember these stoves have been in store for years so before you use it soak the pump leather in oil for a couple of hours to breath life back into it. I use olive oil but any oil will do. See post No17 here for pump leathers.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Geoff, remember these stoves have been in store for years so before you use it soak the pump leather in oil for a couple of hours to breath life back into it. I use olive oil but any oil will do. See post No17 here for pump leathers.

Thanks - I'll do that. I'll have to control my anxiousness to use it this evening and let the leather soak. Extra virgin olive oil, or just the second pressing? :D

Given the availability and the (low) price of leather washers from the chap in Turkey, and the spares kits from Base Camp, it doesn't really seem worth the effort making one or two homemade washers if the original leaks.

Geoff :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
ok i have taken mine apart aswell, the leather is still soft and pliable and covered in what looks like a sort of graphite type lube do i still need to soak it?

all the washers in mine are non-mangled, and i have framed the awesome label lol :D

stove just looks good, but yeah im going to scour the junk shops for an oil lamp to match!

I think this will be good for car camping, im already imagining stirfry lol!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Got mine home and, after soaking the leather washer, had a go at running it, but no joy, as it wouldn't pressurise. I may well need to replace the leather washer in any case, but it seems like the NRV in the pump tube is stuck (I checked by blowing into the pump tube and couldn't get any air to blow in).

Any thoughts on how to unblock the NRV? Can it be done without extracting the NRV? Or do I need to get hold of a tool for extracting it?

Thanks

Geoff

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Got mine home and, after soaking the leather washer, had a go at running it, but no joy, as it wouldn't pressurise. I may well need to replace the leather washer in any case, but it seems like the NRV in the pump tube is stuck (I checked by blowing into the pump tube and couldn't get any air to blow in).

Any thoughts on how to unblock the NRV? Can it be done without extracting the NRV? Or do I need to get hold of a tool for extracting it?

Thanks

Geoff

It's probable that the NRV seal is stuck against it's seat.

You could try pouring a little paraffin into the pump tube and replacing the pump assemby then try to pump the stove gently the paraffin is not as compressable as air and you might pop the NRV seal off of it's seat... It is a bit messy though. Another trick is to pour boiling water into the pump tube and hopefully the heat expands things a bit and with application of the pump it might also pop free.. Be careful not to scold yourself...

The most reliable method is to remove the NRV and either service it or replace it.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
how long should i soak the leather pump cup washer in olive oil?

is olive oil best? i have some neatsfoot too

You need to leave it in the oil until it's pliable and can conform to the pump tube and make an air tight seal. Rather than dried out.. let it soak for 24hrs and then have a look.

Olive oil works well as does clean motor oil.. Never tried neats foot....

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

You can make a NRV removal tool a longish bolt or bit of solid steel rod will do and you can use the flats on the bolt heat or knock up a tommy bar to undo the NRV

DSCF1851.jpg

15 minutes with a hacksaw and file will give you a slot that fit the NRV head.

DSCF1855.jpg

It might be worth haveing a look under strong light down the pump tube to see what type of NRV is down there as some have a slotted head you can undo with a large flat tipped screwdriver..

p1010079-1-1.jpg

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE