Old Hicks butcher mod (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
I've had my butcher a while, and it's not gotten as much use as I'd hoped - basically 'cause I don't have much need for a butchers knife. I therefore decided to modify it into something I'd been lacking - a nice "in between" knife that was neither big nor small...

Firstly, the tools. A dremel with a flexible extention (much easier to hold than the whole unit) with a cutting disc and a shallow skillet filled with water. This was a method I saw used by a fella on British Blades, and I've used it a few times before with good success - you just hold the blade just under the surface of the water to keep it cool and cut away. An angle grinder would be much easier but prepare for redoing the HT... Before doing this I modded some pictures of the knife to come up with a design I liked. I decided to go for a clip point blade.
Works like so:
cliptut4.JPG

This is a very messy process, you and your workplace will get covered in water spray and metal filings.
cliptut5.JPG

Hairy arms don't help...
cliptut6.JPG

It's slow going, but when it gets to about this point the tip can just snap off easy enough.
cliptut7.JPG

And there we have the cut blade!
cliptut8.JPG

Now to my grinder setup. It's a dump, yes, but... I can't really think of anything redeeming! Lots of junk scattered around from various projects.

Keep some water around for cooling the blade regularly. I started with the bench grinder to do the rough work - a coarse stone will heat the blade less than a fine stone.
cliptut10.JPG

Here we go right after the bench grinder. Then the belt grinder is used for flattening the clip, and finally the contact wheel is used for hollowing it out a bit. I wanted the concave to be subtle, mostly at the point, so not much work was required - you want a light touch on the contact wheel, too much pressure and you'll dig in at points and create an uneven surface, just let the abrasive do the work, and remember to cool regularly. No part of the blade should get too hot to hold. Following the clip, I added a slight swedge - this was for aesthetic reasons, so I didn't go overboard, just a few passes.

cliptut11.JPG

And this is what I ended up with, with a nice fur background - my cat likes to feel involved ;) I think this knife will get a bit more use now - I'll do an in-progress of the new sheath when I get some leather and sinew!

Comments welcome
Pete

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I thought you were going to show another way to skin a cat.:D you have one on your arm too!
Thats the first time I have seen one of those turned into a clip point, they usually end up as nessies.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I thought you were going to show another way to skin a cat.:D you have one on your arm too!
Thats the first time I have seen one of those turned into a clip point, they usually end up as nessies.

:lmao: Nah, if I don't flay him when he's clawing at my door at 3am I certainly won't when he's lying quietly on dad's chair :p
Yeah, I hadn't seen one turned into a clip point either tbh which was part of my inspiration - the other part being that I would like a full-size bowie knife (more for fun than anything else) and I can't afford one, so I've been thinking of buying a 10" butchers knife from Sheffieldknives.co.uk and modding it. Figured that I'd try this one! It's kinda weird, I think I enjoy modding things this way and rehandling more than making my own from ground stock.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE