Old Fomes fomentarius much darker brown

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 16, 2013
Yorkshire
Hi,

I harvested a couple of Fomes fomentarius last week, one large one from a 150+ yr old beech and another from a birch stump. Being my first lot I prepped them a few different ways to edge my bets as I read loads of different posts on what to do.

The first bit I tried raw as it were as it had not rained for a couple of weeks. It was just a lump of the brown layer beneath the hard outer crust. (which is a pain to remove!)
This first raw bit would not take a spark, I reckon there was residual moisture, it did however form an ember when lit with a naked flame and smouldered well for a long time.

The second lot I cut into 3mm strips and boiled in wood ash for a few hours, word of warning, wood ash and water with ff boils over really easy and will ruin a aluminium pan, so don't use your best. These black strips were then air dried for a few days.

The third lot I cut into strips and air dried.

None of the samples took a spark from either a flint and steel or a fire steel rod. So I tried fluffing the top surface into very fine stuff. Even then it would not catch a hot or cold spark from either method above. Again the edge would catch with a naked flame.

I did notice that the black strips I boiled smouldered slightly differently, a bit faster than the air dried strips.

I have a nice piece of amadou from a purchased Wilmas traditional fire kit. It seems much lighter, almost yellow compared to my dark brown samples. It also feels much airier, lighter and more flexible. That piece also takes a spark from any method.

I suppose my point is I don't seem to get the desired starter tinder for a cold spark from this old specimen. It would be great for expanding a coal or ember and the bigger pieces would transport fire well. I'm going to have to search out a younger specimen I think to get the desired properties.

Mar 16, 2013
Yorkshire
Yes, with a combination of beating and boiling I've got some useable stuff. The easy quick way seems to be a couple of hours boiled in hard wood ash. That stuff took a spark with very little further processing. The beating does seem to be the key to making it like soft suade leather. I'm going to try and use a variety of specimens over the coming months, hopefully find some younger fungus. Besides if I hammer away much more with the rolling pin and wooden board my wife might leave me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You don't need to hammer it. If you use it when it's still damp and gently knead it out with your fingers, it will stretch and ease and end up like thin suede :) Lovely stuff, but it takes time and patience.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE