Old Fellows Bimble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Went in with Jan and Yen for an old fellows walk in the woods in Malaysia in the approaches to the foothills of the main dividing range.

We soon entered extensive bamboo forests. This bamboo is easily 20metres tall

DSCN4690.jpg

You may have eaten little bamboo shoots in Chinese restaurants but this is one on steroids.
DSCN4691.jpg

Came across this snake skin tree. It is reminiscent of some python markings say the locals

DSCN4696.jpg

Then we entered a glade which the indigenous people have made so that they can collect durians.
DSCN4698.jpg

They had made a seasonal shelter which they occupy during the fruit collection season. These durian trees are tall and the heavy spiky fruit is a lethal missile as it plummets to ground. They make a loud “whumph” on impact. Every year people are hospitalized with injuries like cracked skulls or carted off to the mortuary

Perhaps that is why they made this little altar. Like Asterix’s Gauls they are fearful of the sky falling on their head. I have no idea about their beliefs or why this little ladder (which is totally non functional as only a spirit could mount it) was made.

DSCN4699.jpg

I think this is where they keep the durians they collect and place their rattan packs on the shelf below to fill them up and support the load as they put the straps on.

DSCN4703.jpg

However the fruit on the shelf is a wild “rambutan” known as a “pulasan” which unlike the bright red domesticated version has an edible nut that tastes like almond and walnut
Here is a photo taken later

DSCN4731.jpg

The walls and floors of their shelter are made with split bamboo, smooth side facing in and rough out
DSCN4701.jpg

For some reason I didn’t take a photo of the smooth side.

Photo of an interesting leaf

DSCN4704.jpg

Crossed over the stream and returned to the waterfall we started at.
DSCN4705.jpg

I climbed to the top and found two more drops
DSCN4716.jpg

There were many Large butterflies – velvet black and iridescent green – the Rajah Brooke Birdwing, but they were impossible to photograph. I tried to tempt them with a sweaty backpack but no luck. This is the best I managed

DSCN4708.jpg

It was a green world up stream

DSCN4723.jpg

with little patches of brown like this fungi. It’s texture is like thick glossy paper

DSCN4717.jpg

This creeper reminds me of something you might see in a science fiction film

DSCN4730.jpg

After swimming in the falls we headed back home to a good local meal and cold beer

DSCN4751.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Impressive pickies!
In Thailand this summer I became addicted to Rambutan, but found Durian awful!
Rambutan are available in Tesco at about a quid each - addiction cured!
John

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yes, thanks for sharing Bod, looks like a bushcrafters adventure playground there...Interesting creeper that sends out shoots and joins onto itself....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE