Old DC4 v New DC4

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
These threads are raised every few weeks and there seems to be some confusion over which Fallkniven DC stone people gave. Contrary to the information given out by Fallkniven and other high profile retailers that claim they are virtually the same, this is clearly not the case. The old version had a very fine and smooth grit on the ceramic side. The new version is far more coarse. Again retailers and Fallkniven say that the new version will become less coarse and more like the older version over use and time. Well, after two years of using the new version, again this is clearly not the case. The new version never achieves the fine grit the old one had straight from the packet.

Here are a few pics of both stones together...

P1010590.jpg

P1010591.jpg

P1010592.jpg

P1010593.jpg

So there you go. The old version is nicer as far as I'm concerned as it was the stone I used for years and worth sourcing if you can. Saying that though, the new one is still a high quality stone that does the job and does it well. Those people that have never used or seen the old version will not know the difference and probably won't even care as to the changes made. Well, perhaps until I wrote this... sorry.

On another note, people often complain about the diamond side coming apart from the ceramic stone when wet. This is entirely normal. They are not supposed to be permanently adhered to each other as the diamond side wears far faster than the ceramic side and can be bought and replaced separately at little cost. The ceramic side does wear, but at a much slower rate, and after time becomes concave. When this happens, you can take teh diamond plate off and use the other unused side of the ceramic and get your moneys worth and then some.

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
On another note, people often complain about the diamond side coming apart from the ceramic stone when wet. This is entirely normal. They are not supposed to be permanently adhered to each other as the diamond side wears far faster than the ceramic side and can be bought and replaced separately at little cost. The ceramic side does wear, but at a much slower rate, and after time becomes concave. When this happens, you can take teh diamond plate off and use the other unused side of the ceramic and get your moneys worth and then some.

Lucky I read this - I was about to break out the Araldite this evening!

Thanks for the post - I'm of the camp that has only ever used the "new" type. And as you say I think it's a great little tool - not perhaps having used anything viewed as better.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting reading. From someone that works with ceramics, I would say (at a very loose guess) the difference grit wise is 600-1000 vs 3-4000.

layman's terms, course- new, fine to ultra fine-old. I have the stuff here to measure the ceramic particle micron/mesh if anyone wishes to confirm their thoughts :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Now that's interesting Al! Can you measure grits in the 10 000 + range or is that getting a bit too nerdy?

10000+ is getting a bit nerdy :)

Our scopes do 50x but the measurement devices may struggle... The plate I sent you was certified 12000 grit buy our manufacturer to give you an idea!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi JonathanD, does that mean the newer one will not get an edge as sharp as the old one?

It will get an edge just as sharp as the old one. But microscopically, the edge will not be as fine. Nothing to worry about really.

Here is a better close up of the two...

P1010594.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Neither of my old ones look like that, they both have a gold colour diamond face and a grey ceramic.

One has been dropped a couple of times and the diamond slab glued back on, the other looks like the day I bought it.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Here's a closeup of my 5 year old DC4 for comparison. I'm pretty sure it is one of the good 'uns.

DSCF6637.jpg

In another thread I reported that I had emailed Fallkniven regarding the quality changes of their stones, and I reproduce their reply below.

I decided to contact Fallkniven regarding their sharpening stones. They got back to me today:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by My email to Fallkniven
[FONT=&amp]Dear Sir/Madam,
I have an older DC4 sharpening stone and have been very pleased with it. I have been considering buying another. However after speaking with friends I have been told that you have changed the design of the DC4 and that the new one is not nearly as good. Will you be going back to the old design any time soon?

Many Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Fallkniven's Reply
Hi,
Yes we have change the DC4 with a new better ceramic stone.
We think it´s a lot better than the old one and we will never go back to the old version.

Best regards

Eric Hjortberger

Fällkniven AB

Perhaps if they genuinely think it is better, people need to write to them till they realise otherwise?

They replied to me within 1 business day so they don't seem hostile to customer communication.

I sent them the following reply:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by My reply to Fallkniven
Hi Eric,
Thank you very much for getting back to me so promptly.

I must admit I have my reservations about the new DC4. According to some who have bought one the newer models are not as smooth or as consistent as the older models.

You can see some reviews with these complaints here:

http://www.heinnie.com/Sharpeners/Fa...p-370-212-418/

I do appreciate you getting back to me so quickly and will definately consider Fallkniven products in the future - however I doubt I will buy a new model DC4. The old model was everything I wanted in a sharpening stone - I don't think it needed changing.

Best Regards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE