Old Crooked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Finally got round to turning my Ash stave into a bent stick. It has more character than my old man. The back is just the bark removed. Tillered to 40# @ 28". It is for one of the scouts who has been pestering for a while.

finishedprofile.jpg

signature.jpg

Braced
finishedbraced.jpg

Drawn
oldcrooked.jpg

oldcrooked2.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Rich.............That bow looks fantastic, I bet your well chuffed with it. Take it down to your local archery club and show them up.................Jon
Bout time we went to yours for a pint or five.......

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Thats a fine looking bow you've got there, its inspired me to brave the cold and get back into my shed and start making more bows, I've even managed to get hold of some yew, I've just got to wait till my fractured clavicle heals up now :( .

Seriously nice bow ;) :You_Rock_

Andy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Rich.............That bow looks fantastic, I bet your well chuffed with it. Take it down to your local archery club and show them up.................Jon
Bout time we went to yours for a pint or five.......

Cheers Jon. Your're right about the drink. Will PM you with some possible dates. Wont be till Mayish time, work and scout camps taking up a lot of time :( Keep well.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Everyone. She was fun to do. And not so hard to part with. It's going to a good home. Showed the recipient last night, he seems quite chuffed.

Robbo, unless you have a double, I think I remember reading about your # clavicle on paleo...Not much you can do but wait it out.

I too have a yew stave that I billeted at the weekend. It has a sizable natural recurve (8" min) which is going to take some tillering...now that will be a challenge.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
thats a fantastic piece of work, so impressive to see the shape change between the first shot and the bow drawn where it all comes true. I suppose it just shows your skill in working to the woods demands, not trying to make the wood fit around what you had in mind. Very impressive, and a very lucky scout!

Ben

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I must say I am VERY impressed.

That is a great looking bow...am slightly baffled as to how some thing so knarled looking can be turned into a user. All credit to you Stovie :35:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I flemish twist linen when I have some. But a good substitute is garden twine (not the jute stuff thats not strong enough), two lengths rolled like cordage and served at both ends and in the centre. Anything above 55# draw weight and best to use dacron.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE