Old axe rehandled

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
My first axe was given to me by one of the guys at work, he retired not long after giving me the axe and said it was his wifes grandfathers, so god knows how old it is but it served me well for years!

I managed to break the handle, however found a replacement on ebay. It seemed easy enough to rehandle, however I cant find any metal wedges small enough put across the wooden wedge, is it really needed?

It didnt have a metal wedge on it to start with and the handle was solid as I could not knock out the old handle, it had to be drilled. It is as solid as it was before now that I have rehandled it. I am just curious as to what the metal wedge is for?

The other thing is this linseed oil treatment, how many times does it need coated? should i sand it inbetween times?

The edge has a few nicks out of it, is it worth using a grinder to cut the edge back to get rid of the nicks?

D304A59E-6EE8-40F5-ABAE-256D72495361-3806-00000210A639E417.jpg

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice looking handle.
As to the wedge, sometimes a metal wedge can be put in place at an angle if it is a tad too big. I have only once put a metal wedge back in after re handling an axe, I have done plenty of them as well, only had one loose one and that was my fault for not doing a proper job in the first place.
A few coats of boiled linseed oil over a few days will do no sanding at all, after a while wipe off the excess.
Only you will know if it is worth grinding off some steel to get rid of the nicks, if it is only for chopping kindling I would leave it as it is.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I wouldn't take it to a grinder as you'll be very likely to draw the temper, making the edge soft. You might try filing it to remove the worst dings, then stone it with a bench stone held in your hand (Ben Orford has a good video of this on you tube).

Dave

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
If it has a wooden wedge in it should be fine. I always leave the wooden wedge proud so that I can bang it in further if it loosens, but more importantly It means I can pull the wedge out to take the handle off for sharpening/ grinding etc. I try not to use metal wedges as they are too permanent.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Perfect gents, thanks for the replys, I'll maybe file it down a wee bit to sharpen it up, its really for rough work so the edge doesnt need to be like one of those gransfors fashion accessories :-D

Nic. now I wish I left the wedge longer, excellent idea!! to late now though!

Off to B&Q for some linseed oil!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE