OK, so who carved this at Oxwich bay?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
On hols at the Gower, found this freshly carved.

a32f6f131cb408cce0b73d4ceca6490e.jpg

Chances are someone on here is the culprit?

M

Good grief. Read the OP. The original post was about the carving. I never even hinted it was inappropriate until questioned.

Blimey you lot are a bunch of delicate flowers this week.

It's a carving of a woodspirit that made me smile. It may also be an act of vandalism, but that wasn't the point ...

Good grief

You made a sweeping statement that someone on the forum would do that, with no context, . When questioned, you then decided it was a funny thing to do and were not blaming anyone. Was it someone from here or not?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Do you not hammer copper coins into tree stumps to kill them and allow them to rot faster? i.e. a intentional act to return the biomass to the woodland

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Been all sorts of theories about it and coins play a big part in a lot of death rights. Think of coins placed on eyes and coins for Charon.
Different metals mean things to different folk. Shiny new pins dropped into the well, wrought iron against evil, silver as a purifier. Picts and their shiny metal mirrors.
Must say though that I don't know why they pop the coins into the trees.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes it's a wish for something, sometimes it's a 'take this away from me' wish too though…..so folks don't take coins from the tree because they don't what they're taking away with them too.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers M, it's like the pins and cloth offerings where I was brought up then. Wondered if it was different as it was coins on a graveyard island.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
There is an old tradition/belief of ''wishing trees'', people shove coins in trees as an offering in the belief a wish or good fortune will be granted. It’s similar to the well known tradition of wishing wells where you throw a coin into the well and make a wish. Some of these ''coin trees'' have hundreds of coins shoved in their trunk, there are a few trees at Portmerion in Wales which have hundreds of coins driven into them and other specimens in Scotland too. Personally I don’t believe in superstition and live by deeds not wishes, each to their own though. Certain nationalities have traditions, for example not far me from is a river bridge where asians throw coins into the river, the river bed is chock a block with coins, I don’t why they do it I presume it’s for a similar reason in bringing good luck. Regarding the tree carving, I grew up many years ago in a rough area of the black country where it was common for kids to carve things into trees, usually something like so-and-so love each other though.

Google 'coin trees' or 'wishing trees' and you will find some specimens full of hundreds of coins. Those at Portmeirion are quite well known, there are others throughout the uk.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/great-britain-wishing-trees

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I did wonder if it was something like that - there were numerous trees with a good number of coins in them. And many of those looked like they had been there a good while.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE