Oiling wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Been reading about what type of oil to use on wooden cups etc and a lot of folk reccomend boiled linseed oil but I bought a bottle of linseed oil and on the bottle it says its not for use on hardwood, not suitable for use on food contact surfaces. Is it safe to use for cups bowls etc?

On the other hand vegetable oil is food safe but some say it may go rancid though I've never hear anyone having this happen.

What is the best stuff to use?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Raw linseed oil, it's what I use as it's not toxic like 'boiled' which isn't boiled at all and actually full of chemicals.

I use it on loads of stuff, including eating untensils and it's great!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
What Samon said...........boiled linseed oil has solvents in so defo not for food items. Raw linseed oil (or flax seed) is fine but may leave a taste to whatever food or liquids in the wooden items......Avoid veg oils such as sunflower or rape seed but walnut oil or hazelnut oil are OK.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE