Oh dear, midges.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We were just saying the other evening that we've been awfully lucky so far this year. Low midges, very low clegs, but loads of bees, and only one wasp's byke needing redd out of the loft.
We have loads of soft fruit to pick yet, and an eight foot high ivy covered fence to prune back, I'm hoping that the midge numbers stay low.

M

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I will be up in Scotland early August.
Luss (Loch Lomand)
Oban
Dingwall (Inverness)
Scone
Whats the advice from those that know?

Toddy I have just been clearing Ivy in my wood that had run riot. It had taken over a sick looking tree, run along the branch of a larger tree nearby and then back down onto a smaller healthy tree which it was strangling.
Chalkflint

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Luss (Loch Lomand)
Oban
Dingwall (Inverness)
Scone

Toddy I have just been clearing Ivy in my wood that had run riot. It had taken over a sick looking tree, run along the branch of a larger tree nearby and then back down onto a smaller healthy tree which it was strangling.
Chalkflint

Scone and Dingwall are usually ok. Oban can be a nightmare, and Loch Lomond "troublesome". The two that work for me are;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Skin-Soft-150ml-Midge/dp/B011742316

And;

https://www.smidgeup.com

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm not up till the first two weeks of September when we'll be spending four days canoeing the Spey. I suspect it will be head-net time :(

I have always found myrtle based insect repellents work really well against the Scottish midge; I have frequently been chatting to others swarming with the little devils and been totally clear myself.

As for Ivy, my wood isn't managed for timber and Ivy is treated as a valuable habitat that provides food, shelter, and nesting for invertebrates and birds and ages the wood. It is one of the last plants to still have flower and nectar in winter. I appreciate that not everyone has the luxury of being able to take that view though :)

Reactions: Toddy and Sundowner

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I'm not up till the first two weeks of September when we'll be spending four days canoeing the Spey. I suspect it will be head-net time :(

with the ever changing climate its hard to know the best time, but the Spey in late April/early May is best. Unless you've been already, Killin to Broughty Ferry on the Tay is a great canoe trip. There are some places you may need to "portage". Grantully and Stanley. I've done Lochearn Head to Perth on the river Earn, then onto the Tay, but the water needs to be "high" to make this manageable.

Reactions: Toddy

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Best for water level or for low midges? My timing this year has been a bit thrown out so early September was the only time available.
Possibly both, but certainly best for midge avoidance. Late winter/spring this year, the river levels have been noticeably low, as I have easily and safely managed to ford (on foot) rivers on my usual haunts that would normally be raging torrents.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
"Stupidly Simple" works for me. I was wondering about this as I haven't had to apply it so far, here in deepest Northumberland. Thankfully we're not canoeing on my favourite Loch until mid October, Loch Morar!!

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
Thanks for all the tips. I will start stocking up

Broch. I totally agree with you about ivy. It was only removed as the sickly tree it grew up is road side and the shear volume of ivy on it became an issue. Ivy and Holly we have in abundance.
Ironically we are having to thin out that area so will take the opportunity to plant hedging and possible coppice which will encourage more wildlife.
Chalkflint

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Luss (Loch Lomand)
Oban
Dingwall (Inverness)
Scone

Chalkflint

Buy a Beaton's Midge jacket, before you go.
Seriously, it can save your sanity.

midge-jacket.jpg

http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/shop/beatons-midge-jacket/

I quite like the ivy, it protects the fence very well indeed, and it's been full of nesting birds too. They've hatched, fledged and flown now though, so I'm happy to cut it back and tidy it up now.

If you have thick stems of ivy, it splits open to make really good hearth boards for the firebow.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE