offa's dyke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
hello there, its been ages since i logged on here, hope you are all well.
i've decided to walk the whole offa's dyke path... so i looked at some itineries online an most said 12 days but when i asked for the time off work they said i could only take 8 days off in which to do it.
really i just want to ask how possible this is and if anybody else has done it.
any help would be appericiated thanks a lot

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never done the route but 22 miles a day is fair shifting, doable but probably not as enjoyable as if you had an extra couple of days.

What's the terrain like ? If it's easy going then seven or eight hours walking each day will prolly see you through. Is it camping along the route or do you have to use established accommodation ? I suppose the benefit of wild camping means you can push on a few more miles or even hang back if you've had a rough day.

Looks a nice part of the world

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Do you walk regularly ? If so 22 miles a day should be ok depending on terrain but i would still have one day of walking mid walk .

Jason

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
22miles per day is quite a lot with a full camping load...furthest I did in one day was 30 - but that was easy terrain and I was bl88dy fit at the time having been walking, climbing and ski-ing for about 5 months non stop....
My average when walking half the length of England was about 20 - but that varied from 6 to the said 30...
The Dyke is a bit of a switchback in places....

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have done Offa's Dyke path and I took 13 days. On the other hand, i wasn't trying to rush it and spent a lot of time dawdling round some of the cracking places it goes through. 22 miles a day on the path is pretty tough going - more in some sections than others. The amount of height gain involved is actually greater than the C2C which crosses the Lake District, the Pennines and the N. York Moors! This is because you go up and down small hills all day long rather than climb a big 'un in the morning and go down it in the afternoon.

Why do you have to complete it in one go? 8 days will get you over halfway and do the rest some other time. I did half of the C2C in August and the other half in January - the contrast was incredible and added to the enjoyment of the route.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I would love to do the Dyke, but fear I would have to do it as I have to do most longer distance walks - in shifts over a longer period.

Still highly enjoyable though

Alex

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
Unless your're doing it just to tick it off I wouldn't rush it . There are lots of things to go and look at along the way which will all add 1-3 miles ( and a load more enjoyment ) extra onto the walk each day . If you can , do it in 2-3 stages , otherwise you don't get to stop for a pint/pie/abbey/castle/chat/etc . A lot of the pubs on route will let you camp in their garden ( more so if you do it for a charity and get a few sponsers , I think BHF will give you a collecting tin if you ask )
Trev .

bearbait

You could always hike north or south as far as Knighton - which is about half way - and get the train back from there. That's what I did (and I'm still waiting 20-odd years later to finish the rest of the Dyke!). Trev mentions pubs above: a pint or two before bed time makes the ground more comfortable.

You may find some useful info from the Offa's Dyke Association.

Have a good trip...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE