Off topic: The DIY Chessboard challenge (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Please excuse the off topic nature of this posting but it has traditional craft elements within so perhaps you'll forgive this indulgence. Besides we've got no one else to show it to, except our wives etc and you lot are an appreciative bunch. :lmao:

Earlier in the year my best mate Paul laid down a challenge to my brother Matthew and I to make a chessboard. We'd already done a few crafty types challenges before like, making a trinket box and to "Steampunk" something .

So the deadline was set for the end of July this year and the gauntlet picked up. We were given completely free reign for how we went about it. So each of us got busy in our own little hideaways workshops basements and kitchen (My brother lacked a workshop at the time).

So I thought you might like to see the end results.

Firstly my brother's. He's a big fan of the Steampunk genre and went for something that looked Victorain as well as "Gentlemanly" with a slight slant on normality. The pieces are made out of lead. The brief was to just make the board not the pieces but he thought it best to have a go and do something. All the parts that made this cost less than a tenner.

Rather than go with a simple chessboard he went for a world map too.

The board hinges up flat for easier storage.

Matts-chess1.jpg

Matts-chess2.jpg

Matts-chess3.jpg

Matts-chess4.jpg

Matts-chess5.jpg

Next up is mine.

I too was influenced by the Steampunk genre a bit but mostly wanted a Gentleman's a travel case type chess set. The leather's a bit battered and stained in places which adds to the worn aspect of it.

Chess1.jpg

I had a beech burl drying out in the garage so that got sliced up to make the ends

Chess3.jpg

Undo the buckels and it unrolls and the board is revealed.

Chess4.jpg

Chess5.jpg

The pieces I bought for it let it down, £3 on ebay. Just couldn't be ar$ed to make all those fiddly little pieces.

Chess6.jpg

6mm saddle leather was soaked and rolled around a dowel and left to dry to form the tube case that holes the pieces. A shaped piece of spalted beech is the lid.

Chess7.jpg

The "board" is part of an old leather case, 2mm thick and measures 200mm x 200mm In total my effort cost under a tenner as well... just.

Lastly here's Paul's mediocre effort. Somehow I think his heart just wasn't in it. I know he could have done better but he kept rattling on about time limitiations etc. so please excuse the shoddiness of his workmanship. He's getting a bit better at it now.

Made entirely from Padauk and Beech and measures 410mms x 410mms x 100mm.

_wsb_550x380_IMG_8331xx.jpg

Each side facing the players has a drawer containing the pieces that he'd turned on his lathe and then shaped to the individual chessmen. The knights were the hardest he said.

_wsb_550x388_IMG_8331xx.jpg

_wsb_550x366_IMG_8323xx.jpg

_wsb_550x416_IMG_8325xx.jpg

_wsb_550x366_IMG_8363xx.jpg

Yes the padauk wood is really that red, but ultra-violet light makes it darken down to a deep brown in only a few days. Paul has kept this under wraps since making it to preserve the red.

Lastly and please excuse the sheer audacity of this, but Paul's offering up this chessboard for sale on ebay:

There's hours and hours of work, blood sweat and tears that went into that board hence the asking price. I think it's worth it for a one-off hand made item like that.

Thanks for reading. You can see more of Paul's workmanship HERE

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have to say Biker... I really do prefere your's best. (although the others are very nice)

Its the sort of set you could pull out from a pack, and watch peoples faces beam with joy when they realise what it is. Game on.

Very bushcraft/retro.

al.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
WOW! :Wow: Cracking work from all 3 but I'm with Barn owl and TBL mate - I like yours the best!

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
All three are excellent, if i played chess and had to pick one i would pick yours too!!
Not being biased but i like the look and its very portable- reminds me of a pirate map :p

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Love it !
I was sat in the rain on sat night just wondering what project i could get up to...and now i have one :)

As said i think yours is the best for what it is (but you should have carved the peices) ... I`ll be working for the forseable on chess set first and then a board i think.. nice one

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Very nice. I'll echo the others and say yours is the better option for the outdoorsy type. The first one, while artistic reminds me of something for the mentaly confused. The latter, yes it's beautifuly made is a display set likely to be brought out to play on special occasions. Yours is definitely the most practical.
Damn! Now there's another project to add to the hundreds waiting to be made.
Thanks for posting it,

Eric

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
all three are gorgeous, I love the map design on Matthew's board, Your board looks great Aaron, the aged look it has makes it my favourite!

It's a shame Paul couldn't have put a bit more effort into his, it had potential!! (all joking aside) It really is a lovely board and the pieces are absolutely stunning.

Thanks for sharing.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
I love Chess, it's a great game that I don't get to indulge in enough.

I must say all 3 are incredible but your one is particularly charming and would be a joy to play on.

Did you steal the idea from a commercial supplier? or was it genuine biker ingenuity?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Wow stunning work from all three,

But as with the others I like yours best Biker. Theres something that really draws you to it.

All the best

Craig

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All great stuff!
I love your offering ...but as you say the pieces let it down a bit...I hope you are currently crafting some to replace the bought ones :)
The last one is frighteningly good - but I would be scared to use it incase I damaged it!
My travelling set (well draughts actually) was a checked bandana and coke/sprite bottle tops ....yours has a tad more class tan that!

Biker

Hi Folks, thanks for the really positve replies. I've sent a link to this thread to both Paul and my brother so they can follow it. I'm sure Paul will pull all the stops out on his next project. I'll just remind him to put his back into it next time.

Glad you find my board pleasing. I'm sure had this been a joinery forum or steampunk forum the result would have been different, but thanks for the endorsment.

Did you steal the idea from a commercial supplier? or was it genuine biker ingenuity?

The idea's purely my own, that's not to say something like that isn't out there already, I certainly hadn't seen anything like it. I did get the idea from seeing old scrolls in a museum. How they roled up for storage and unrolled to be read. Seemed like a good idea and I'm glad I ran with it.

The plan was to cut rounds of branches and paint on the chessmen on each round. (and flipped over to become draughts pieces) The rounds would then be stacked and stored in the tube, but the branches I had set aside weren't that good, and the design got smaller as time went on until I just went for the travel set instead. I may end up carving some pieces one day. Suffice to say I'm happy with it at the moment.

Thanks once again for the comments. Means a lot fellas.

Aaron

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
This is excellent; a bushcraft chess set. I like the two indoor sets a lot, but they are just variations on a theme. Yours is something new. I think you should keep the fleabay pieces as they will be cheap to replace if you lose pieces in the woods! I made chess set at school (back in the stone-age) and I remember the lesson I took away from it was to design the pawns so they are really easy/quick to make as the last few get boring!

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE