Off to look at an allotment...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not sure where to post this but I'm off to look at an allotment in a couple of hours.

I've never had one, and I know they're like hens teeth to get hold of. I'm not even entirely sure what I should do with it if I got one.

Are there things to look out for when getting one or is it a case of suck it and see and go from there?

the dog has wrecked my small garden, and I'm under orders that the garden will need fixing up, especially if I take on an allotment.

Any and all advice welcome,

Andy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Concrete it over, buy a deck-chair and sit and watch others working. Great pastime.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
There is lots of literature out there and I am sure someone will be along to recommend a good guide/book to pick up to help you.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Congrats on getting to the top of the waiting list :)

You won't go far wrong checking out British Red's various threads about his growing experiences.

Another good, simple book are the Expert books by DG Hessayon

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
there's no shortage of good books out there that will teach you the basics (and beyond), see if the library has any before you splash the cash. One tip I would impart (having 10 years experience on things of a vegetable growing nature) is get one of these:

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/

far superior for turning over a patch of land than a fork or spade. We have heavy, stony soil here, so I use a combination of heavy mattock for breaking up new land and a digging hoe for breaking up already dug land. I reckon they are at least twice as quick as fork and spade, and a lot less effort.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What are you looking for is a good question? Do you plan to grow veg or flowers? Raise chickens (only some allotments allow this), keep bees (likewise)?

If the allotment has been neglected its likely to be very weedy - its normal but hard work tidying up - can take a year or two

Think of the practical things - how far will you need to carry water? Can you get your car close to move tools and produce? Is there a shed or hard stand for one?

Happy to help if I can offer advice.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers Red, I'll take those into consideration. There was a miscommunication regarding the post code and by coincidence I ended up at a different allotment. We've rearranged the meeting for another time. Probably for the best as it was all a bit rushed.

Grumble grumble.... :nofeed:

I'd like to grow some veg I reckon. We wouldn't need a great deal but it would be nice to do. I'd like to keep chickens/ bees etc but sadly that's not on the cards what with working offshore.

I grew up helping my mum in the garden so I'm not totally new to it all, but I've done very little in the past couple of years.

All the best
Andy

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not sure where to post this but I'm off to look at an allotment in a couple of hours.

I've never had one, and I know they're like hens teeth to get hold of. I'm not even entirely sure what I should do with it if I got one.

Are there things to look out for when getting one or is it a case of suck it and see and go from there?

the dog has wrecked my small garden, and I'm under orders that the garden will need fixing up, especially if I take on an allotment.

Any and all advice welcome,

Andy

In terms of a reading list, I would suggest The Halfhour Allotment and John Seymours Self-sufficient Gardener.

When it comes to the location, the most important thing is water, how far away is it, and can you run a hosepipe to get there? Watering a 10 rod plot by watering can is going to drive you nuts. Second, what condition is it in now: If there is an over abundance of Bind weed or ground elder, walk away, walk away fast. Once you get it, you will spend the rest of your life trying to get rid of it. Each time you put the spade in the soil, if you accidentally divide up a piece of ground elder or bindweed root, you will just create a second plant. Not nice.

In your first year, you want to grow things that are easy to grow, and low maintainance. Think Potatoes, Pumpkins, climbing beans. They take up a lot of space, give very good yields, but above all, require next to no maintenance. My pumpkin I planted in the middle of a wigwam of green beans, and managed to get a 1.5kg pumpkin, plus 5lb of green beans plus ½lb of dried beans, off a single 4'x4' square of ground. Total effort: put seeds in, harvest crop.

Rhubarb is another great one, I have 4 plants of a variety called "Timberley Early", and it gets me 40lb of rhubarb a year. Once in the ground, the only effort I've put in is harvesting it occasionally.

Most importantly, remember, it's supposed to be fun.

J

Coincidently I've just been offered one (in fact apparently I have "a choice of various sizes"), and off to look at them this afternoon, they are 2mins around the corner.

Will bare in mind Red's points above when going to look. E.G. where is the hose pipe, tool storage, also not too shady etc.

I think they have kicked a few people off who have abandond their allotements for a couple of years, so I am expecting a choice of weed or even bramble patches.

Good fun though.

Last edited:

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
me mum has one, its more for her to go and potter around in, it would never sustain the family. when I moved into me house I had an excess shed that she got which she loves. she just goes and drinks tea in there. she also keeps bees, she has 2 hives and is constantly giving away new swarms. shes always very proud of owt she grows and will always point out during a sunday roast whats from the allotment. they have a swapsie system going on, me mum will grow something and any extra she will swap for something else she wants from another allotment that she doesn't grow.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys. I'll bear all that in mind. Looks like it won't be for another couple of weeks if at all. The woman wasn't too helpful on the phone, but said she'd call back in a few weeks or something..... :confused:

we shall see.
Andy

Just back from seeing the ones around the corner. Theres a huge one going, sort of a double length plot. Must be about 10m x 40m. Has a serviceable existing shed, and beds are in OK nick. Plenty of tidying to be done, but otherwise no big issues. All for the princely sum of £30 / year.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just back from seeing the ones around the corner. Theres a huge one going, sort of a double length plot. Must be about 10m x 40m. Has a serviceable existing shed, and beds are in OK nick. Plenty of tidying to be done, but otherwise no big issues. All for the princely sum of £30 / year.

Have it would be my advice - particularly with it being so close to home!

I would second Quixoticgeeks advice on "The Self Sufficient Gardener" by John Seymour. Absolutely seminal book and still a major source of inspiration to me. Great no nonsense down to earth advice on planning, set up, rotation etc.

If you need any seeds etc. Andy / David, just say the word :)

Red

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It's in Bebington. As I say the woman was rather unhelpful. I've sent her a text but no reply. Kai, if your mum happens to be on that allotment and knows who deals with it all perhaps she can put in a kind word?

Aye Red, much appreciated. I get the feeling not much is going to happen so I'll need to push it.
Andy

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Get the basics first

Shed
Table
Chair
Stove
Tea pot

You missed the kitchen sink Rik, and solar panels for a light.
9777937765_708e691eaa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the kitchen sink
12072955856_a141d4db67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allotments are great, nothing like a Sunday morning session to collect some bits and pieces for lunch or dinner all fresh from the garden, just hope you get a clean and easy one.

Have it would be my advice - particularly with it being so close to home!

I would second Quixoticgeeks advice on "The Self Sufficient Gardener" by John Seymour. Absolutely seminal book and still a major source of inspiration to me. Great no nonsense down to earth advice on planning, set up, rotation etc.

If you need any seeds etc. Andy / David, just say the word :)

Red

Yeo, told them I'd like it, and popping around to sign up tmrw. Just hope we can do it justice.

Neighbours have happily agreed to cover on watering etc when we go on holidays.

Will def get that book, and thanks for the seeds offer Red, may well take you up.

Found this site which looks very informative...

http://www.allotment-garden.org/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE