Oex jackal 2 or the oex hyena 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Hello chaps after a new cheapish tent and been looking at the oex and I like the jacket and the hyena. Befor I dive to much I to the differences between the 2 ect was just wondering how many of you have experience and what you think, I'm looking for a small tent I can strap to the side of my bag, so reasonable packs away small and is light weight but sturdy enough to handle the rain ext it's for woodland camping and trekking but still needs to have enough room to sort of move around and get dressed ect bear in mind I'm only 5'6 lol

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
That Hyena looks hard to beat for the £69 Millets are selling it for. Loads of reviews on YouTube for OEX tents.

Go Outdoors have the OEX range set up in store so you can try for size, worth a trip if there's one near you. They regularly have sales on too and send extra discount codes via email.

Edit: Just looked, £65 at Go Outdoors but there's an extra 15% off too so £55!

Last edited:
Reactions: GrandadInTheWoods
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
That Hyena looks hard to beat for the £69 Millets are selling it for. Loads of reviews on YouTube for OEX tents.

Go Outdoors have the OEX range set up in store so you can try for size, worth a trip if there's one near you. They regularly have sales on too and send extra discount codes via email.

Edit: Just looked, £65 at Go Outdoors but there's an extra 15% off too so £55!
Yer Gona pop down the weekend I think Im also no debating the decathlon dome tent for a little bit more moving around room

Reactions: Megatramp

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
I was going to say the Phoxx looks good and half the weight but if you want room it might not be ideal.
Not familiar with the Decathlon offerings.

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Not sure if it's specifically a 2 person tent that you're after, but don't overlook the OEX Bobcat. It's a solid 1 person tent, with a generous vestibule and 4 season credentials. Also good value!
That's what I have. Got it last year in the sale and with extra discount it was £36! Not sure I'd pay the current price for it though.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Does it have to be a tent? I ask because I've generally found modern tents made of man-made materials 'sweat' a lot more than the old-style canvas things I took with me for the Duke of Edinburgh Award in the 1960s. A lightweight man-made tarp and maybe a groundsheet (I usually just use a sheet of polythene) can give you a lot more room for the same space and weight, and cost a lot less money. You can keep the mosquitoes at bay with mesh in the hood of a sleeping bag or (my preference) a hooded, breathable bivi bag outside your sleeping bag.

Food for thought anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE