Odourless (and natural) deoderants - my experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Have to be honest and say I thought these were for fruit loops. The whole rubbing a crystal on yourself thing sounded whacky.

Scoops

Me too!

After reading the tread and because I was doing the pest control in a well known health food shop... I purchased one of the crystal deodorant sticks. A "travel" one to be exact and it works 100%.
In my line of work, on the go non-stop. At the end of the day, I hum! big time!! Very bad!! BO BO BO..... okay you get the idea.
Not anymore, these deodorants still let you sweat but as if by magic there is no smell.
Blooming great.

John (well chuffed with something that actually works really well!!):nutkick:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
My experience too, these things rock! ;)

Easily (by a country mile) the most effective and best value deoderant I have ever bought.

The lack of pit odour even after the sweatiest day has to be experienced to be believed!

Best £1.99 I have spent in a long long time.

I am stunned how good they are.

Scoops

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
My experience too, these things rock! ;)

Easily (by a country mile) the most effective and best value deoderant I have ever bought.

The lack of pit odour even after the sweatiest day has to be experienced to be believed!

Best £1.99 I have spent in a long long time.

I am stunned how good they are.

Scoops

I forked out £2.99 but if you compare to a good spray deodorant that's not expensive. I can not get over how effective these things are.
I'll never use anything else, ever.
Just now and then you find something that really works, works better than you could ever imagine. Fulfills all criteria (no clogged talc, white marks, left over perfume smell etc) and isn't that expensive.
Just great, totally chuffed!

John

Hi guys/gals

I bought one of these rocks/crystals about 4 years ago and it's still in regular use today, it's now starting to go a funny shape but it is still effective. my girlfriend has had no luck whatsoever with it and is using her spray deodorant instead.

I must admit I was sceptical at first but now I'm a convert to it. I've had a few days out where I haven't had a shower or the chance for a wash and it the original application of the crystal still worked.

The best result I got was to shower then apply the crystal, allow the area to dry then don't reapply any more until you next have a chance to wash the original application off.

After using this method for so long I used one of those spray on deodorant/antipersperant thingyies and found the fragrance overpowering, made my eyes water!

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Must aggree with the others, I tried pi rok crystal after reading this thread about 2 weeks ago and it really does work.
I found that after a weekend in the woods without a shower I did hummmmmm a little but now with the pit rok that just don't happen it's great, the wife uses the spray version and finds that great too.
It is a great pruduct, I wish I had heard of it sooner.
Thanx guy's.
Have fun shoot a stick!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have used the pit rock from the early 90s when I read about the aluminium content of most spray deodorents I wouldn't use anything else now I tell everyone I see buying a deodorent in the supermarket about it:D

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice thread

I got the powder for my trip to Sweden its called "Thai stone, crystal mineral" but its ammonium alum with mineral salts, and it looks like some talc, I cant remember the web site :( which is a pity as they sold the stones as well. It worked very well, both on the body, and in socks :eek:. My only complaint, was the rotating cap didnt work, ie seal, I stuck a bit of gaffer tape over it :D

Stephen

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I was dubious about this at first, but after reading this thread i bought some Pit Roc.
It really works !
I've been using it for only a few days with today being a good test and after bribing swmbo with some choc' ,she had a sniff at my oxter, we agree it's a winner.

I honestly didn't think it would be this effective.

Tom.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
It's funny that everyone's finding Pit Rok to be great. I put 'avoid' in my original post.
I wonder why it didn't work for me?
Mind you - it was probably about 12 years ago I tried it, maybe I should give it another go when this one runs out.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After using Pit-Rok for three months now, since I saw the earlier postings on this thread, I can record success with it. It is a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant, so I'm finding that I tend to be damper than I would be with a 'normal' anti-perspirant /deodorant, but that odour-wise it is much better. Despite the perfumes in what I used before, there was tending to be a bit of a 'whiff' by the end of the day, which is not happening now.

Obviously, it may not work for everyone, as we have seen from some of the postings here, and I may try some of the other natural products if my stick of Pit-Rok ever runs out but I've been happy with it so far. And in terms of cost, I reckon it is possibly cheaper overall: the initial cost is higher, but it seems to last much longer than 'normal' stuff.

Geoff

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Thought I'd bump this old thread as, much to my scepticism, it appears that you bunch of hippies may be on to something! Rubbing a crystal under your pits instead of a deodorant? I had to check it wasn't April Fools. :lmao: You'll be telling me to balance my chakra next!

I've been using a PitRok deodorant since January and I haven't looked back. It definitely works for me, and my wife's now converted too.

The cheapest place I found was Goodness Direct. I'd go for the push up one, rather than the stand alone crystal as it can become slippery and if you drop it on the bathroom floor, it breaks into lots of pieces.

Cheers for the recommendation. :You_Rock_

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
I have used "pitrock" for about 2 years now after reading a thread on here about it and it WORKS the longest I have gone without a wash or shower is 4 days and I still had no problem (this was not a voulantry thing) I use it every day for work and it is great my wife also uses it and has had no problems at all.
I highly recommend it.

"Have fun, shoot a stick"

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have used pit-roc for the last 10years the only you have to watch if you drop it it will smash to pieces, I have stopped using toothpaste as well i use a miswuk stick

galew

Tenderfoot
Hi all
At the Delamere meet, there was some discussion of odourless deoderants. I said I'd post something up on here as I've been using them for about 12 years.

My reasons for choosing them are that they are the most natural deoderants in terms of chemicals on the skin, don't block pores and they are vegan, but the discussion at Delamere mentioned hunting because they are odourless and just general use because they don't leave white marks.
Another bonus is that they are lightweight - especially with travel sizes being available (40grms).

All these are crystal-based and the main active ingredient which seems to seperate the good from the average is Potassium Alum

The crystal ones also last and last and last (months if not years) - just be careful not to shatter them as they are then very spikey to apply. I sometimes nail file mine down if I've dropped it.

The last point is that they probably aren't going to be as effective as the best deoderant from Sure, etc, but they are pretty good.

Good solid crystal deoderants which are fairly common in health food stores:
Crystal Spring
http://www.crystalspringltd.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=37&strPageHistory=cat

Crystal
http://lemonburst.co.uk/acatalog/Lemonburst_Crystal_Body_Deodorant_12.html

Both myself and my wife found this one (also common) to be next to useless, but maybe different bodies work differently.
One that didn't work for me: Pit Rok
http://www.pitrok.co.uk/cat--PitRok-natural-deodorants--PitRokDeodorants.html

In the past we've tried spray and roll-on versions of thes deoderants, but they haven't been as good (and they don't last very long), but recently we've found one that works really really well - maybe about as good as regular chemical deoderants.
Urtekram Deo Crystal Roll-on
http://www.mariposa-alternative-bodycare.co.uk/index1.html

So there you go - hope it's of use to someone.

Cheers
Alex
Good solid crystal deoderants which are fairly common in health food stores:
Crystal Spring
http://www.crystalspringltd.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=37&strPageHistory=cat

I’m made purely from Ammonium Alum (Alum is Aluminum ) Linked to all form of bad things. Not a whole lot better than the regular chemical deodorants.
If you want something really natural, try rubbing a cut lime under your arms, doesn't last 24 hours but is good for 10 if not too hot.

galew

Tenderfoot
I have used "pitrock" for about 2 years now after reading a thread on here about it and it WORKS the longest I have gone without a wash or shower is 4 days and I still had no problem (this was not a voulantry thing) I use it every day for work and it is great my wife also uses it and has had no problems at all.
I highly recommend it.

"Have fun, shoot a stick"

Ammonium alum (NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O) or ammonium aluminum sulfate dodecahydrate is a white crystalline double sulfate of aluminium,

Not good for the body, agreed not too much rubs off every day, but why use aluminum if you don't have to. We already get too much if we bath or shower with tap water as they use aluminum in the tap water to remove cloudiness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE